This minor release mainly fixes a performance issue on image prefetching in windowed mode.
JPEGView is now providing a 32 bit and a 64 bit version
This is a minor release to fix some bugs and add support for high DPI screens
Replacement of Intel IJL JPEG library
This version replaces the Intel JPEG library by Turbo JPEG (tjpeg, http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/)
The replacement has many reasons:
- The Intel library license was not an open source type license
- Newer versions of the Intel library are not free of charge. The old versions are not supported by Intel anymore.
- Some JPEG files could not be read by the Intel library. tjpeg can read these files.
- There is no free 64 bit version of the Intel library.
(This is important for the future when there may be a 64 bit version of JPEGView)
The tjpeg library is open source and (at least on modern CPUs) performs comparable to the Intel library. It is used by many other viewers and several Linux distributions.
Note that tjpeg including lossless JPEG transformations has been statically linked to JPEGView. Therefore the application has grown by 300 KB. However the total size of the package is lower than before because IJL15.dll and jpegtran.exe are no longer needed.... read more
- Lossless rotate and crop now works in folders containing Unicode characters in the path.
Note that the file title must not contain Unicode characters due to the fact that jpegtrans.exe does not support this.
- Portuguese (Portugal) translation, thanks to Sérgio Marques
- Support for viewing embedded JPEG images in camera RAW files using code from the dcraw project.
- Support for loading images using Windows Image Codecs (WIC). By default WIC is used to load JPEG XR files (also called
High definition photo). When using Windows Vista or Windows 7, the Windows Camera Codec pack can be installed to get
support for full size camera RAW images in JPEGView. Refer to the readme.html for instructions.
- New image processing: Perspective correction, use button on navigation panel to activate
- Rotation and perspective correction: Option to keep aspect ratio when auto cropping
- New INI file setting: 'AutoRotateEXIF' to disable auto rotation of images based on EXIF image orientation tag.
Default is true (the EXIF auto rotation is supported since many versions, this setting is introduced to turn this off).
- New INI file setting: 'ScaleFactorNavPanel' to scale the navigation panel buttons, e.g. to make them larger on touch screens
- Clicking into the image (without dragging) toggles visibility of navigation panel
- Zoom by dragging mouse, activate with 'Shift-left mouse click' or with button on navigation panel
- Random sorting order for images within folder, can be used e.g. for random slideshow mode (activate with 'z' key)
- Improved crop handling: Crop rectangle can be resized using handles
- When in 'Adjust window to image' zoom mode and in window mode, the window adjusts automatically to zoomed image size while zooming
- Russian version of keymap and INI file (KeyMap_ru.txt, JPEGView_ru.ini) containig explanations in Russian. Be aware that
these files must be renamed to KeyMap.txt and JPEGView.ini and copied over the original (English) versions when JPEGView shall use them.
- Rollback to VS2005 to compile the project because of problems with Windows 7 and Windows XP before SP2.
The Windows 7 issues can be solved by using the latest versions of Windows SDK, WTL and ATL but the XP issue can't.
JPEGView will remain on VS2005 at least for some versions.
For VS2010 users, a solution and project file for VS2010 is included in the source code distribution.
WebP library needs to be compiled with VS2010 as the VS2005 compiler produces crashing code from the Google source -
so WebP will not work in XP SP1 or earlier.
- libwebp_a.dll made delay loaded - therefore JPEGView runs without this DLL when you do not need webp.
Will be investigated soon, maybe related with new Visual Studio version used (VS 2010)
- Previous image now works correctly when WrapAroundFolder is set to false
- Czech translation, thanks to Milos Koutny
- Greek translation, thanks to Paris Setos
- WEBP image format supported (load and save), using the source code provided by Google
- Keyboard shortcuts are now defined in the file KeyMap.txt, located in the EXE folder. Users can edit the key map if desired.
- New INI file setting: ExchangeXButtons to exchange the forward and backward mouse buttons (default is true, now can be switched to false)
- Putting file name first in window title (as it is convention in Windows)
- Double-click to fit image to screen (according auto zoom mode currently set), respectively 100 % when already fit
- New transformations: Mirror horizontally and vertically (and put the rotation commands also under the new transformations submenu)
- After having had massive problems with a compiler bug when compiling the WEBP source code, I decided to switch to Visual Studio 2010.
Install VS 2010 to compile JPEGView - Express Edition (free) is sufficient.
Version 1.0.24 has been replaced by this patched version, fixing a crash that happens when resizing images of some sizes
- Navigation panel not truncated when window is small, instead the buttons are smaller.
Tooltip texts are also no longer truncated in small windows.
- Modification date displayed with correct time zone adjustment
- Portuguese translation, thanks to Carpegieri Torezan
- New windowed mode that fits window size to image size, avoiding black borders.
Enable in INI file using:
- New auto full screen mode that starts JPEGView in fullscreen mode when the image is larger than the screen
or in windowed mode (window fit to image) when the image is small enough to fit to the screen.
Enable in INI file using:
Note: This is the new default value in the INI file.
- In the EXIF display (F2), the file name is broken into multiple lines when it is very long
- F11 key is now used for toggling full screen (used to be Ctrl-W). Navigation panel visibility now uses Ctrl-N (instead of F11)
- If the first image shown is smaller than the screen, JPEGView now starts in 'window fit to image' mode.
To restore the old behavior (always use fullscreen), set ShowFullScreen=true in INI file
- Improved memory handling for very large images. Read ahead turned off for very large images.
Also improved memory footprint for processing large images by stripwise processing.
Note that images > 100 MPixel still fail loading in most cases (tested with XP and 2GB memory)
- When out of memory, image loading fails with error message instead of crashing
- Set file modification time to EXIF time now correctly considers time zone
- New image processing: Rotation by arbitrary angle
Using a button on the navigation panel, the image can be rotated with the mouse by a user-defined angle.
The preview of rotation is real-time and uses simple point-sampling. When the rotation is applied to the
image, bicubic interpolation is done, providing a good quality rotated image.
Note that this processing cannot be stored in the parameter DB.
- Lossless crop
- Display of JPEG comments (EXIF user comment, EXIF image description, JPEG COM marker, in this order)
Use INI file setting ShowJPEGComments to disable display of comments
- Set modification time to EXIF time for all files in folder
- New INI file setting: WrapAroundFolder. Can be set to false to disable cyclic navigation
within a folder (going from last to first image)
This is a patch release!
- Fixed crash on startup when ShowFullScreen=true in INI file
- Swedish translation (thanks to Åke)
- Copying EXIF data when saving image in screen size (Ctrl-Shift-S)
- Fixed crash when window is minimized while slideshow is playing
- Close button is active when moving mouse to top, right corner of screen
- Histogram can be displayed on the information panel (below EXIF information). Use ShowHistogram INI file entry
to set if the histogram shall be shown on the panel or not. If not shown by default it can be blended in with
a small button on the information panel.
- Updating EXIF thumbnail image when saving processed image
- New button on navigation panel: Keep processing parameters between images
- Changed behavior of fit to screen/actual size button, fit to screen is now default when not yet fit to screen
- Keeping fit to screen when rezising JPEGView window
- Image processing panel: Temporarily reset slider by clicking with the mouse on slider number
- Image processing panel: Reset slider to default value by double-clicking above slider
- Romanian translation (thanks to Silviu)
- Russian translation (thanks to Dmitry)
- Updated Spanish translation (thanks to Daniel)
- After saving, navigation panel was not painted correctly sometimes
- New image processing: Unsharp mask
Using a button on the image processing panel, an unsharp mask can be applied to the original pixels.
Note that preview is always in 100 % zoom. Unsharp masking cannot be stored in the parameter DB and it is not possible to
apply unsharp masking automatically after loading each image (unlike other processings)
- New image processing: Color saturation
Support includes: Saturation on image processing panel, default saturation in INI file, parameter DB and landscape picture mode
- UI colors can be set in INI file. New default colors instead of the traditional green.
To restore the old colors, change them in the INI file to:
GUIColor=0 255 0
HighlightColor=255 255 255
SelectionColor=255 255 0
SliderColor=255 0 0
- New INI file setting: OverrideOriginalFileWithoutSaveDialog
If set to true, Ctrl-S overrides the original file on disk, applying the current processings without showing a dialog or prompting the user to confirm.
Use with care, the original file will be replaced by the processed file!
- Flag 'ReloadCurrent' used in user commands does no longer keep geometric parameters after reloading (zoom, pan, rotate)
- French translation
- Korean translation
- New INI file setting: DefaultSaveFormat to set the default format when saving images
- Corrected Italian translation
- Hiding of mouse cursor when starting up in window mode and switching to fullscreen mode
- Application shown in taskbar also when the file open dialog is d
- 'DefaultWindowRect=max' in INI file will start with maximized window (if fullscreen mode is false)
- Dropping files or folders to JPEGView from Windows Explorer now works
- Edit global and user INI file using context menu
- Backup and restore/merge parameter DB using context menu
- Small buttons for minimize/restore/close on top, right corner of screen in full screen mode (only shown
when mouse moved to top of screen)
- New crop modes with fixed aspect ratio and fixed crop size
- Set modification date to current date or to EXIF date
- New command: Ctrl-M to mark file for toggling. Use Ctrl+Left/Right to toggle between marked files
- Showing file name in window title
- Smooth blending in and out of the navigation panel if mouse not moved for some time
- Thumbnail view behavior changed somewhat - pan by click supported
- Resize now possible to sizes smaller than 800 x 600
- Renaming files with %x placeholder now works correctly
- Auto-rotate image using EXIF image orientation
- Save image in screen size (Ctrl-Shift-S)
- Keeping last selected image format when saving images
- Italian translation updated
- Toggle to window mode and back now first uses low quality sampling and improves quality on idle
- Image processing panel no longer truncated on 1024x768 screens, sliders are smaller in this case
- Toggle screen with Ctrl-F12 on multiscreen systems
- Window mode, toggle between window mode and full screen mode with Ctrl-W or with button on navigation panel
The window mode can be made default in INI file and the starting window size can also be set in the INI file
- New INI file setting (LandscapeModeParams) that allows defining the parameters used in landscape enhancement mode
- New INI file setting (BackgroundColor) that allows setting the background color
- New INI file setting (NavigateWithMouseWheel) that allows using the mouse wheel for navigation (Ctrl-Wheel for zoom)