racing wheel.

I have not installed the new-lg4ff https://github.com/berarma/new-lg4ff
    driver, but was reassured that this should not be necessary, at least to
    get the game working with the wheel, by the fact that:

1. without that driver, the wheel works with SuperTuxKart (played that with
      enjoyment yesterday evening)
    2. user leillo1975, from the following thread seemed also to think that it
      should basically work with the inbuilt kernel driver. (i'm on linux mint
      21.1 - kernel version 5.15.0-58-generic)
      https://sourceforge.net/p/speed-dreams/discussion/865036/thread/25c92540d2/

However, and now is when i can't help wonder if i'm just being stupid, I
    can't see for the life of me where I 'select' the use of my racing wheel!!

In the menu option 'Player and control' configuration there's the easily
    overlooked 'Controls' (down next to the Recycle bin icon)
    That brings you to the 'Controls configuration' which ... seems to be
    letting me configure my keyboard and mouse.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for any help.

Sean

• leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-02

You must set one by one each control (axis and buttons) , and then push "Apply" on the "Controls Configuration" menu. It is also recommended that you use the calibrate option. Finally, it is very important that you press "Done" and "Apply" in each of the menus, including the "Player Configuration" menu.

About the G29 , kernel driver is enough for this game because it uses only constant force (correct me if I am wrong, @madbad ). Although if you are going to play more car games, it is highly recommended that you use the new-lg4ff driver, as this driver enables more effects.

A question, What video have you seen on Youtube?

Last edit: leillo1975 2023-02-02
  • svaens

svaens - 2023-02-02

Hi @leillo1975, thanks for the reply!

I will give your suggestions a go shortly (in next hours) and report my success!
    In the meanwhile, to answer your question: here are the two videos I came across on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6N7eHQu20A&t=268s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1Pj3vqQ9s

I have to say; not having yet had the time to explore the gaming experience myself yet, I am left curious by the difference in the two videos. i.e,
    in the first, you've just got the single 'screen',
    yet in the second, the driver seems to be given both a 'revision mirror' view, as well as a third-person perspective.
    I suppose that is a configuration?

I will explore soon enough and find out!

Last edit: svaens 2023-02-02
    • leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-02

Hi, in the first video you see a race on a track under development. Unfortunately it is not yet available. In this video we use the new experimental graphics engine OSGgraph, which still lacks a lot of things, but has a better performance, as well as more quality. Rearview Mirror can be activated, but it disables shadows for now. As I said, it is still under development.
      In the second video we use the old graphics engine, SSGgraph, which as you can see has effects like smoke, spray, explosions, rain, but has worse graphics quality and worse performance. Shadows are not dynamic and mirroring can be used.
      You can switch between SSG and OSG under Options->OpenGL->Graphic Engine

• svaens

svaens - 2023-02-02

ok, @leillo1975. i had another look. tbh, i still don't get it.
    In the control configuration screen (one of which i attached in my first post)
    I am given the opportunity to configure items like
    left steer, right steer, down shift, up shift etc.
    i can select the item. if i move the mouse after, it registers a mouse movement for that control.
    if i click a keyboard key instead, it registers that key for the control.

Yet, if i try to steer my wheel - no reaction.
    If i try to configure up shift , with the shifters on the wheel, no reaction.
    if i try (for the purpose of troubleshooting) to assign a control button ( triangle, for example), no reaction.

On the other hand, i was able to perform the same kind of assignments in SuperTuxKart.
    And , when i checked the wheel using the tool jstest-gtk
    it was all good.
    any ideas?

UPDATE: I done some more reading here:
    https://github.com/argos-research/speed-dreams/blob/master/doc/userman/how_to_drive.html
    where it talks about being able to configure various controls.
    And though I haven't found a screenshot for it, ... it gives me the impression I should have been given the opportunity to 'select' the control (i.e., my Wheel) which I wish to configure.

Since, apparently, 'Speed Dreams' hasn't detected my G29, it only gives me the opportunity to configure my keyboard and mouse. That being the case, I need to find out why my G29 isn't recognized here. I am thinking to try a different installation/version....

This is, btw, flatpak installed version 2.2.3

Last edit: svaens 2023-02-02
  • svaens

svaens - 2023-02-02

@leillo1975
    Hey! I got it working.
    I actually a bit unfamiliar with what seems to me to be a recent development in app distribution; the 'AppImage' !!

I had initially installed this as a flatpak via the distribution 'software manager' (linux mint 21.1).
    Not sure why I would have had troubles with that one, but in any case,
    Anyway, an AppImage is what I happily found on sourceforge, and this was a big improvement!!

I was able to configure the G29. At first it was a bit strange. I had seemingly configured 'left' and went to configure 'right' but the wheel locked up! At least, there was a lot of resistance to my attempts to turn right.... so i quit the app and tried again rather than try to force it.
    3rd try or so it was recognizing it, and I was able to configure all aspects relevant to a first test race!

Great!

Some comments - perhaps you have an idea about what I am seeing/experiencing here (I take it you are one of the devs?):

1. there is no resistance at all, when steering. Not even constant. This contrasts to what I experience with SuperTuxKart. Is this a matter of playing with the force feedback configurations? Or just what one would expect given i'm currently using the kernel driver?
    2. I noticed in the later video I referenced (the one which you mentioned was using OSGGraph) you see the hands turn the wheel. Is this also a feature yet to be released?
      I see the wheel.. and some 'artifacts let's say '?? (see attachment) where the arms should be; but the wheel wasn't actually moving and reflecting what I was doing with my own G29 (although, it was obviously steering the car). Is this something which might be peculiar to my setup? Or what I should expect from the current 2.3.0 beta release?

All in all,.... is really great! In the short time I was able to test it tonight, I had a lot of enjoyment. It looks really good. And responds really well.

Looking forward to showing this to my kids;
    and looking forward to keeping up with the next releases!

Best Regards!

p.s. what is the best source of documentation, besides this forum itself ?

• leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-02

I am very glad that you were finally able to set it up. First of all I am not one of the developers. My "job" is to promote the game on social media (twitter and mastodon), record videos for our channels (Youtube and Peertube), write articles on the official website and occasionally write on the wiki a bit. I also test new features and give feedback, but I have no idea about programming, unfortunately for me.

I think you should have feedback, even if you have the kernel driver (if not correct me @madbad ). Could you try with new-lg4ff?

About the steering wheel, is not implemented in all cars. In supercars category, as example, you will find it on Boxer, Cavallo or FMC. Monoposto 1 , 36GP, 67GP and MPA12 has also wheel movement. You can configure the Stering Wheel rotation on screen on the Garage->Setup

You can find documentation about the game on the Wiki (WIP), But feel free to ask questions here. About this, press F1 during race to see some help.

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-02-02

That car doesn't have an animated driver and steering wheel which is a real shame because it's the first car everyone new to Speed Dreams sees.

👍
      • leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-02

You are absolutely right. Perhaps @chad3006 could make a good interior for this car, like boxer, cavallo or FMC. Also is possible to change the default car

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-02-03

Maybe you can add features like animated driver and animated steering wheel to the car list so we can keep track of what needs to be fixed.

• leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-03

You talk about the List Of Cars on the wiki? What do you think of a new column with comments?

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-02-03

Yes and yes.

• leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-03

Changed to Cavallo 360 on [r8728]

Related

Commit: [r8728]

Last edit: leillo1975 2023-02-03
  • svaens

svaens - 2023-02-03

@leillo1975, a question if I may?

Is it intended that all car's are eventually include 'animated steering' like that in the above mentioned YouTube video?

For what it is worth, here's what I think would be real nice:

You already have this great 'Left glance', 'Right glance' view which you can access via a (configurable) key. For that functionality, for the period of time you hold the button, you are able to see out the left or right windows (which tells me, that what I would suggest is certainly doable).

For this 'view' (right and left glance) it makes sense that it is only shown for the duration of the press-and-hold. There are other 'views' which the user might like to see for a more extended time; for the duration of the race maybe, or maybe not; the user would enjoy having the choice. i.e., a toggle button which allows you to switch views from

1. in the cockpit (with steering wheel)
    2. in the cockpit (no steering wheel)
    3. at the dashboard (i.e., closer towards the windscreen with a better view to the road)
    4. above and behind the car (third person view)
    5. behind the car - to see those cars in pursuit! - (maybe this is better with press-and-hold?)

I saw a few features above mentioned in an android based racing game.
    And point 5, actually, is something you can can do with SuperTuxKart. Which, though, is similar to the feature you have with the revision mirror. So it is maybe unnecessary. But I just thought i'd mention it.

• leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2023-02-03

With F2 key, you can alternate different first person views , with F3 third person view... F2 to F11 keys are different types of views. You can press the key several times for different variants of this view.
      If you press F1 you can see a description of this and other keys

Last edit: leillo1975 2023-02-03
  • svaens

svaens - 2023-02-03

@leillo1975
    ahh ok. My mistake. I really need to checkout the F1 description.
    I made my incorrect assumption based on my impression that it is not something that is mappable (as is glance left and glance right).

Thanks for the clarification!

👍