REDUCE is an interactive system for general algebraic computations of interest to mathematicians, scientists and engineers. It can be used interactively for simple calculations but also provides a flexible and expressive user programming language.
The development of the REDUCE computer algebra system was started in the 1960s by Anthony C. Hearn. Since then, many scientists from all over the world have contributed to its development. REDUCE has a long and distinguished place in the history of computer algebra systems. Other systems that address some of the same issues but sometimes with rather different emphasis are Axiom, Derive, Macsyma (Maxima), Maple, Mathematica and MuPAD.
REDUCE primarily runs on either Portable Standard Lisp (PSL) or Codemist Standard Lisp (CSL), both of which are included in the SourceForge distribution. By modern standards, REDUCE is a surprisingly small and compact application, which runs well on all major operating systems.
- arbitrary precision integer and rational arithmetic
- algorithms for polynomials and rational functions
- facilities for the solution of a variety of algebraic equations;
- automatic and user controlled simplification of expressions
- substitutions and pattern matching in a wide variety of forms
- analytic differentiation and integration
- computations with a wide variety of special functions
- Dirac matrix calculations of interest to high energy physicists
- quantifier elimination and decision for interpreted first-order logic
- powerful intuitive user-level programming language
This system has a lot of convenient functionality; in my case for zeilberger manipulation. Actual errors found were fixed almost immediately! The interface Texmacs and CSL (native) could use some improvement but I guess I could do it myself if I was really bothered. As far as I can tell the zeilberger tools are more extensive than the other free algebra programs; although a few additional features would be nice. As before I should work on doing it myself.
very good project, thanks!
Easy to install and use.
Very useful project!