Menu

change memory limit

Help
2009-03-28
2012-11-20
  • Andrey Krutov

Andrey Krutov - 2009-03-28

How can I chanage memory limit for reduce (psl version)? Now reduce use only ~120 Mbyte.

• Arthur Norman

Arthur Norman - 2009-03-29

Firstly let me stress that the PSL system has only just been made even partly reasonable to launch, so congratulations that it starts at all for you!!! If you run bin/redpsl once than look at bin/redpsl again (see bin/README for more about this!) you will find a 1-line script (if you are on windows you may be using bin\redpsl.bat) that actually launches the system. The option "-td" there controls use of memory. So copy that script somewhere else and change it as you need. Or note that extra options can be passed on the command line when you use it (I hope). So good luck, but all this is in some state of flux so I HOPE it will work but it may need adjustment as the PSL experts get in there and work on it. Arthur

• Andrey Krutov

Andrey Krutov - 2009-04-04

Ok, I see. Now PSL system run perfectly on my x86 system but don't compile on x86_64.
      I run reduce as follows
      psl/bpsl  -f red/reduce.img

I use "-td" option on 32 bit sytem and get

hedin@main:~/reduce/psl$ ./bpsl -td 1000
      Setting heap limit as follows:
      Total heap & bps space = 1000 (3E8), bps = 550000.00, heap = -549900.00
      bpssize = 5500000 (53EC60), heapsize = -5499000 (FFAC1788)
      Total image size = 275767296 (106FE000)

It is normal that heap is negative number?

• Arthur Norman

Arthur Norman - 2009-04-04

This will really be for the PSL experts to respond to not me! But the current default arg to -td for 64--bit systems is 2000 and for 32-bit systems is 16000000 so that seems to me to indicate that different units are being used in the two cases. With regard to x86_64 until a couple of days ago the PSL version built OK on opensuse but not on fedora or Ubuntu - that was my fault for having pointed at the wrong place at ZIB to fetch the necessary files, but that should now be fixed.

In case of doubt and especially since the PSL stuff has been in flux I suggest
         svn update
         rm -f pslbuild
         ./configure --with-psl
         make
      to be extra safe about having the latest files. PSL itself is very stable and has been for ages, so any uncertainties are merely in the conversion to it being available through sourceforge. Note that the bin/redpsl script has also been updated within the last week.
                             Arthur

• Andrey Krutov

Andrey Krutov - 2009-04-14

Yes, it was problem in different units.
      Now I get lastet svn version and it perfectly build on x86 and x86_64 (Debian sid/unstable).

Thank you for help.