PortableApps.com at a GlanceIt took a few minutes to install the PortableApps Platform, and several more to install six apps including ClamWin, Firefox, GIMP, KeePass, Skype, and Stellarium. To start, we launched the heavyweight GIMP without a hitch, while each additional app opened just as quickly. The idea of carrying apps around on a USB seems plausible but the idea of loading the PortableApps Platform to Dropbox, or the like, seems like an even better idea. So, without further adieu, consider trying the PortableApps Platform, especially if you’ve been thinking about the best way to take your apps for a joy ride.
Product DetailsHere is a detailed breakdown of PortableApps’ features:
- Take your apps everywhere—PortableApps lets you carry all your favorite apps on a portable device or cloud drive and use them on any PC.
- Use a portable device, cloud directory, or local drive—The PortableApps Platform comes with a smart installer that easily installs your environment to a portable device, a cloud drive (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), or a local PC, so you can safely back up data to the cloud.
- Quickly find and install apps—PortableApps has a built-in app store that lists apps by category, title, or new and recently updated so you can install the apps you want with just a few clicks. And there’s no download limit.
- Easily organize apps—Grow and organize your app collection with folders that group them automatically or as you see fit. Pick favorites and have the menu learn what to keep up front and center. Or use the search to find what you're looking for.
- Easily update apps—When a new security fix for your browser is released or a new feature in your favorite game is available, the PortableApps Updater automatically lets you know. Just click a button and the updates are downloaded and installed without messing up your settings and saved files.
- Personalize your app menu—With a dozen bundled themes, each with a rainbow of color selections, the PortableApps Platform lets you pick a different look every day for months and never have the same menu twice.
- Take your fonts along too—The PortableApps Platform supports the ability to carry fonts on your portable device and use them with your portable software without needing to install them on the local machine.
- Advanced Features—The PortableApps Platform has the power and the options to work the way you want. And if there's something we haven't added that you'd like to see, just ask in the forums. We add new features every month!
|PortableApps has over 300 apps, all 100% free, legal, and portable, which can be installed and automatically updated for you in the PortableApps Platform.||None really, because when you encounter issues, you’ll find links in the community forum where 180,000 developers, translators, users and fans are ready to help you!|
- Version: 12.0.5
- Date added: September 10, 2014
- Operating systems: Windows, plus Linux, Unix, and BSD via Wine, and Mac OS X via CrossOver, Wineskin, WineBottler, and PlayOnMac
PortableApps.com is the world's most popular portable software solution allowing you to take your favorite Windows software with you. It works on any cloud drive folder (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc), on any portable storage device (USB flash drive, memory card, portable hard drive, etc), or from your local hard drive. With millions of users all over the world and a full collection of open source software (as well as freeware and commercial software), PortableApps is the most complete solution for life on the go.
PortableApps.com was founded by John T. Haller, whose Portable Firefox started the portable software trend. We've been making software portable since March 2004. Today, our team stands at nearly 100 developers, translators, application packagers, designers, and release testers. Our goal is to centralize the knowledge and development of portable software efforts and build a single, open platform that any software or hardware developer can use.
- Lots of Apps - Over 300 apps that require no installation to the local machine
- Works Everywhere - On your portable device, cloud folder, or local machine
- Full App Store - Get new apps downloaded and installed with just a click
- Automatic Updates - Your apps are automatically updated for you
- Stay Organized - Folders, favorites, type-to-find search and more
- Personalize - 14 different themes with 14 colors each plus add a personal picture
- Portable Fonts - Use your custom fonts on every PC
- Great Community - Dozens of developers, hundreds of translators, millions of users
Great idea and it works too
Please allow for the launcher to show other usb portable programs made by other software teams to show like winpenpack
very good made .
This project is Windows-only, so not useful to me, but I think Linux users don't need it anyway because we can install anything anywhere from our distros' repositories. I give it only 2 stars because it should make this clear in the description, and doesn't. What PortableApps really does, is give Windows users a subset of the installation ease that Linux users have had for a long time.
Allows easy installing, updating and overall managing of hundreds of free portable apps, with options such as FOSS/Libre software only, themes, etc. Install OpenOffice, Filezilla, 7zip, and many more favorites, and take them with you on a USB stick, phone, or any other device that has enough storage for your needs. All software can also be installed locally, for if you just don't want to fully install software for whatever reason, such as shared computers. The community is likewise just (and obviously so) as awesome, and will go the distance to ensure that all parties are as content as possible. The author of the app ToDoList decided to "change his mind" and if you search on the portableapps (.com) website for "Future of ToDoList Portable", you will find they consulted the community and took every step one could expect to lessen everyone's burden.