7-Zip at a GlanceAfter you effortlessly download and launch 7-Zip, you’ll quickly discover its simple and easy to navigate interface. The main toolbar contains 7-Zip’s most used features and there are several menus that allow you to dig deeper within. For example, the Extract button lets you easily browse for or accept the default destination directory for your file, while the View menu contains a Folder History, and the Favorites menu lets you save up to ten folders. 7-Zip also integrates with the Windows Explorer menus, displaying archive files as folders and providing a toolbar with drag-and-drop functions. You can also alternate between a single or dual-pane view.
Product Details7-Zip offers several features that make it one of the best compression software options around. For example:
- Open architecture—The source code uses the GNU LGPL license, while the unRAR code is under a mixed license with GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions.
- High compression ratio—Using its own 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression, 7-Zip’s compression ratio is up to 40% higher than its peers. For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10% better than PKZip and WinZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption—This includes both password protection of files and encryption of file names.
- Ability to use may compression, conversion, or encryption methods—For example 7-Zip:
- Supports packing and unpacking for 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP, and WIM.
- Supports unpacking only for ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR, and Z.
- Supports a self-extracting capability for 7z format.
- Integrates with Windows Shell—Using its menu options, you can integrate 7-Zip to the Windows Shell menu.
- Powerful file manager and command line versions—There’s also a plugin for FAR Manager.
- Localizations for 79 languages—This kind of support is why 7-Zip is the world’s favorite free compression software.
|7-Zip is easy to download and use, it opens and compresses most everything, and is has a Windows shell extension.||The interface is a little sparse and so are the instructions, but the program works like a charm anyway.|
- Version: 9.22
- File size: 1.1 MB
- Date added: March 2, 2013
- Operating systems: Windows
7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio. You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip. 7-Zip works for Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008, 2003, 2000, NT, ME, and 98. And there is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license with GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. Check the license for details.
I believe that there was a time when it was possible to unzip within Windows without having to download and install such an application but then those days were over. So I downloaded WinZip to help but they've decided to force users to have to register and pay, which in this day and age is a pretty unfriendly thing to do considering that so many others offer free but rather excellent utilities. And so I was forced to find an alternative to WinZip. At first I saw jZip but Chrome blocked the download as it suspects dangerous payload no matter how many times I tried to work around it. And that finally brought me around to 7Zip and may experiences so far have been nothing but terrific. Downloading was FAST and PAINLESS. The installation was just as simple. Seeing that it's a GNU Licence gave me reason to believe this is the real deal with no viruses in the background. Not a Russian job, which is reassuring. And the first time I used it was so quick and easy, so effortless and so friendly. There was basically not much to have to learn to get up and running so fast. I didn't stumble. I didn't find anything cryptic. I didn't have to keep trying. First time in, first time successful. And fast. What's there not to like? K. PS: Difficult to grade Support when I haven't the need to use it so far.
Daghan Salamat! Thank You Very Much!
It's an excellent tool. I never needed support so I can't answer that