Menu

Force Feedback (align my expectation) with Logitech G920 on Mint (V21)

Help
chanelo
2022-11-07
2022-11-16
  • chanelo

chanelo - 2022-11-07

Hello everyone!

First and foremost, kudos and thank you for making this very playable, enjoyable and stable race simulator!
    I am brutally surprised the game will run on my home media AMD A8 3820 - the story is that I recently decided to purchase an used cockpit for my driving experience and therefore the physical size of the cockpit needs to be "downstairs" and not in my office.

Can I have confirmation if I am suppose to feel force feedback while driving (aka feeling the road) and bumps (crashes) while running this under Linux Mint 21?

I have ensured to put my Logitech G920 into PC mode (from XBox mode) and though not required, I am running the latest Oversteer application but the only thing that works in regard to force feedback in the game is the re-centering of the wheel.

I have yet to try Speed Dreams on my workstation (Fedora), however, on a Windows 10 box, I do feel the force feedback where expected.

I appreciate any pointers or suggestions as I am guessing the issue will be on my end =)

• leillo1975

leillo1975 - 2022-11-07

I can only tell you that the game works fine on the Logitech Driving Force GT, the G27 and the G29. But all of them have one thing in common, and that is that they all use the same driver. This driver can be the one included in the kernel, which only supports constant force, or using the new-lg4ff module (not compatible with G920), which adds more effects. For Speed Dreams you only need constant force (for now).

The G920 (from XBOX) has a different driver which is included in the Linux kernel, so I can't tell you anything else. See if another user can help you.

• madbad

madbad - 2022-11-07

Since the G920 seems to be supported by the SDL library (that we are using for managing the ForceFeedback internally in Speed-Dreams) I see no reasons why it should not work.

The current basic FF implementation in Speed Dreams is mostly focused on the cornering side of things (feeling tha car grip) , but you should definitively feel when you are attacking a kerb as an example.
    Make sure you tune the FF values to reasonable values in the FF config screen on Speed Dreams,
    default values are not good for all the cars.

• chanelo

chanelo - 2022-11-07

Thank you for the speedy responses!
    I just tried this setup on Fedora 36; no force feedback so it must be something universal that I need to figure out.

Make sure you tune the FF values to reasonable values in the FF config screen on Speed Dreams,
    default values are not good for all the cars.

I am using default values; would you be willing to share a configuration I can test with?
    (I do not recall seeing such mention or values under the WiKi for test data, which I thought was really cool the the test data was include so we can submit benchmarking data!)

• chanelo

chanelo - 2022-11-12

After a good Remembrance Memorial service, I loaded up Speed Dreams again with the Force Feedback widget open --- nothing shows; zero force feedback.

Scrolling through the terminal console does not yield any potential obvious issues with force feedback. Where and what else can I check?

The wheel settings are good in Linux such as auto centre but the moment I load up the game, I notice it is almost gone (very very weak) and changing the in-game force feedback values does nothing.

• chanelo

chanelo - 2022-11-16

How do I instruct Speed Dream to not take over all settings of my Logitech G920 racing wheel?
    Before the game launches, the steering wheel is configured (such as auto centre with force), once Speed Dream is loaded, the wheel has no auto centre --- and the in-game Force Feedback chat in OSGgraph shows nothing, a flat line.