Menu

I'm going to make a fictional track pack!

orjis
2023-04-23
2023-09-26
  • orjis

orjis - 2023-04-23

Hey all! Long time no see. I'm back and now armed and ready with a newer trackeditor tool by robert i can actually load tracks now so I'll go and make a bunch of fictional tracks. My goal is to get some interesting and unique tracks that work well with as many classes of cars as possible. I won't go and lear blender so they'll be quite barren. But! If anyone likes the track(s) feel free to add scenery and stuff.

👍
  • Jairo Navarro Dias

Cool!

• orjis

orjis - 2023-09-20

update:

I stopped working on the tracks a long time ago as I ran into an issue with the simplix bots breaking after adding a pit lane. they seem to do some sort of learning of the tracks and as I changed the track afterwards the start to break. Also I ran out of motivation and such but I'll might and go make a track in the near future.

• Peter Collings

Peter Collings - 2023-09-20

This might be because speed dreams saves a copy of racelines and things in a folder called something like speed-dreams-2-settings in your documente folder. If you clear that out the bots should recalculate their racing lines for the new circuit layout

• orjis

orjis - 2023-09-23

Oh thank you! I need to go try that out! I just gotta find the right files.

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-09-24

Should tracks have a version number so this problem could be detected and the raceline regenerated automatically?

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-09-24

A checksum would also work.

• orjis

orjis - 2023-09-24

How would I do that?

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-09-24

Someone needs to fix the simplix bots to see if their cached files are older than the tracks they were generated against. This is a bug in the simplix bots. The user shouldn't have to worry about the cached files being stale. You shouldn't have to hunt down the files that need to be regenerated and delete them but that's your only resort until the simplix code is fixed.

I don't know the simplix code so I'm just guessing but I can take a look when I get some free time.

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-09-25

Here is an RFC patch that adds the checksum of the track XML config file to the trackline files to see if they need to be regenerated when the track changes.

Try it out and see if it fixes your problems.

• orjis

orjis - 2023-09-25

I have no clue what to do with that file. I have a prebuilt version of trackeditor and don't really know how to build it if I need to. But I'll try looking into it.

• Robert Reif

Robert Reif - 2023-09-26

It's a source code patch to the simplix bot. It's only useful if you compile the code yourself.

I never built a setup.exe file for Speed Dreams before so I would have to research how to do that. I'm too busy this week to look into it. I'm also too busy to test this well enough to commit the code. That's why it's an RFC for now. Sorry.