Menu

Jonas Batista Freeplane Version Announcement

2015-11-15
2017-04-11
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 2 of 5)
  • Jonas

Jonas - 2015-12-23

I'm gonna try to screencast one video today about clone and post here for you.

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-12-23

For anyone that wanna see how clone nodes works and how it could be used.

I just wanna say that I assign "Ctrl + V" as clone nodes short cut cos there was no preset shortcut.

But now I noticed that there is a new version where "Ctrl + D" is the official preset standard shortcut.

I always advice to use the native shortcuts.

When I record a new videos I'll correct and use "Ctrl + D" as shortcut.

Clone Nodes 1 - Preview Video - Soon We Will Realise the Official Videos
    https://youtu.be/6F5aCr9eSBs

Cheers and best regards.

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-12-23

Sorry Everyone, I meant "Alt + V" was the shortcut I was using.

lol

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2015-12-23

Good video! And developers did a great job with clones!
      But I still don´t like the idea of repeating information in the map. And
      somehow, clones are the end of single parent, which is the essence of mind
      maps. Neither do I find a clear utility for clones. Maybe having different
      people sorting other's info in their own way. But, technically, I admit it
      looks real cool.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Yeah, idea of nodes with multiple parents was exactly the reason why I did it. I had my doubts whether is is useful, but Jonas and some others convinced me to make it public now.

• Volker Börchers

Hi Jonas,

I like the video! Very good and clear explanation.

Regards
      Volker

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2015-12-24

I don't see 1.5.3 being available. The latest I see is 1.5.2.
    If 1.5.3 is available with clones, I'd love to download it too. :)

Never mind - found it by reading more of this thread. For convenience, putting it here, too.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeplane/files/do%20not%20use%20me/

Last edit: Bal Simon 2015-12-24
  • Jonas

Jonas - 2015-12-22

Yeahhhh

Clones Are the Future, I use Clone a lot.

In Fact everything that we can make be automatic done by Freeplane and save us time and energy is welcomed.

Then I will record videos about all this features.

Freeplane Developers are the Best.

Thank you Devs.

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2015-12-22

I too am also looking forward to clones.

One clarification: The problems that the alpha might have are that it might hang, freeze, etc.? The alpah software wouldn't "break" a map so it became unusable after the bugs were fixed? It would still be a good, usable Freeplane map?

• Dimitry Polivaev

So-called unstable branches automatically become stable branches after some waiting time if no bugs are reported. If nobody uses and tests unstable branches and bugs are not found during the test period, they are just found by you or the other guys later. So it is up to you how long you want to wait until bugs are reported by other guys and fixed.

If you want to prevent your maps from being destroyed by software back them up, IMHO it is the only reliable solution. Or even use version control systems like described in https://git-scm.com/videos .

Regards

• Milavon

Milavon - 2016-01-04

Hi Dimitry, What is IMHO backup?? I looked for it but couldn't find it. can you provide more details about it & why is it the only reliable solution for backups ???
      Thanks

• Jonas

Jonas - 2015-12-22

That’s right guys

I always use the latest version, even when they are in the "do not use me" directory.

There some weeks that clone are already available at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeplane/files/do%20not%20use%20me/

SoureceForge > Freeplane > Menu Bar > Files > do not use me > Freeplane 1.5.3 alpha pre03

It’s amazing and I’ve not experienced any bug, and even if I find any bug I’m not worried cos I noticed that Freeplane developers always fix it really fast.

And Freeplane has a really good backup system.

And just like dimi said, We gotta test it to make sure the official version is stable.

Give it a try, is amazing.

Cheers and best regards.

Last edit: Dimitry Polivaev 2015-12-24
  • Quinbus

Quinbus - 2015-12-24

Could someone post a use case for clones?

Q!

• Ken Hill

Ken Hill - 2015-12-24

I have never worked with clones in any program. My first thought was to track characters in a novel, where a name might change. In a branch for characters I envisioned a list of characters, including "Sally". That could be cloned so if the name changed to "Betty" I wouldn't have to update it in several other nodes.

However, I would want only the NAME node to be cloned. I wouldn't want child nodes to be attached in every clone -- eg, hair color, eye color.

In that situation, I would like the ability to just clone one node and not it's children.

Like you, I'd like to see some real-life scenarios.

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2015-12-24

I can only think of cost accounting...

Different sort of costs per proyect, and then clone those different types
        for the whole company as financial accounting. Freeplane seems great for
        accounting but it seems rather technical.

I myself use Freeplane for home accounting. Download bank statement and,
        through certain nodes that work as regex, I sort regular expenses in the
        correct subnodes. Then I add then recursively towards the root. Even more
        info could be managed through clones. (I guess)

Or members of a team input expenses an they get their parent node cloned
        into the team expenses node.

That sort of thing. Wherever some people need to aggregate several other
        people particular subset of information into a bigger picture?

• Yagiz Caparkaya

Yagiz Caparkaya - 2016-01-28

I am very happy with the introduction of the "node clones" feature and really appreciate developers' efforts to keep improving freeplane continuously :). I wanted to share my use cases, with the intention to help others think of their own.

In the main mind map I use daily, 2 of my top level nodes are Projects & Problems. A lot of times, a problem can be related to a project as well. At those times I was forced to choose between the two nodes on where to keep record of the problem, from now on I don't have to make a choice. I can keep them at both places, update once only, and see them all in the relavant context.

Some of my nodes anywhere in the map are marked as task nodes, which might also have been assigned priority. From time to time for planning purposes I need to see a condensed view of all of my active tasks grouped by priority and age. With node clones, I can keep a copy of all my active tasks in a separate "Tasks" top-level node, access all of them easily, without having to update them in more than one place. Node clones can be used to create alternate views of the same nodes, in different groupings / categorizations.

Thank you a lot for introducing "node clones".

• zipizap

zipizap - 2016-01-28

Good example and explanation, thanks for sharing
        El 28/01/2016 20:56, "Yagiz Caparkaya" caparkaya@users.sf.net escribió:

I am very happy with the introduction of the "node clones" feature and
        really appreciate developers' efforts to keep improving freeplane
        continuously :). I wanted to share my use cases, with the intention to help
        others think of their own.

In the main mind map I use daily, 2 of my top level nodes are Projects &
        Problems. A lot of times, a problem can be related to a project as well. At
        those times I was forced to choose between the two nodes on where to keep
        record of the problem, from now on I don't have to make a choice. I can
        keep them at both places, update once only, and see them all in the
        relavant context.

Some of my nodes anywhere in the map are marked as task nodes, which might
        also have been assigned priority. From time to time for planning purposes I
        need to see a condensed view of all of my active tasks grouped by priority
        and age. With node clones, I can keep a copy of all my active tasks in a
        separate "Tasks" top-level node, access all of them easily, without having
        to update them in more than one place. Node clones can be used to create
        alternate views of the same nodes, in different groupings / categorizations.

Thank you a lot for introducing "node clones".

Jonas Batista Freeplane Version Announcement
        https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/b5ad5263/?limit=25&page=3#7e2f/46da

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Carlos

Carlos - 2015-12-24

• Miguel Boyer

Carlos, that is a clearly flawed example. How can a hardware vulnerability
      be at the same time a software one?

• Carlos

Carlos - 2015-12-24

Miguel, I'm not a computer security expert; you might want to ask that to the post author. Anyway, I think this discussion is beside the point. In my opinion, the example shows clearly how mind map cloning would work in real life.

• Miguel Boyer

Precisely, Carlos, I may be dumb, but I don't clearly see the logic. Which
          is precisely the point of this thread! Just trying to get it right in a
          transparent and real compelling example.

[edit: removed cited message]

Last edit: Volker Börchers 2015-12-24
  • Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2015-12-24

Sure - I have a large mindmap. I have one node set up chronologically. I have another node for things set up by subject. I enter a node into the chronology so that it's attached to the date created. But I will generally access it by subject. So as I modify it in the subject leaf, it is automatically updated in the chronology leaf. In the old way, I'd either have to forego having two leaves and have to handle this by attribute or, perhaps have two copies to update. Now, I update it once, and no matter where it appears in the map, all instances are updated.

• Miguel Boyer

But then, Bal, you loose the chronological thing because you edit at a
      latter time and those changes don't show where they would belong in the
      original chronological place.

I would rather add them to the chrono list an then vanilla-paste them into
      the topic tree. That way you preserve both dimensions strictly... Time and
      function. I do it myself for a literary diary.

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2015-12-24

I didn't communicate clearly enough. Let's try again.
        I have a subtree that looks like this:

-2015-12-24 -
        -2015-12-23 -
        -2015-12-22 - cloned node on bumper stickers (and subs)
        -2015-12-21 -
        -2015-12-20 -
        -2015-12-19 -
        -2015-12-18 -

I have another subtree in the map that looks like this

-political cartoons-
        -political paraphenalia - cloned node on bumper stickers (and subs)
        -political speeches -

Now - I can change the cloned node and it will change in both subtrees. The chronology is maintained. I can always see when I created the node. I can see it in the context of other things I did that day (siblings not shown in the example).

Alternatively, I can focus on the politics leaf and easily find the cloned node on bumper stickers make whatever changes I want and it will be reflected in the chronology. If I think of something while in the chronology area, I can make the change right there and be confident that it will appear in the clone.

Hopefully this clarifies things. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

In any event, a things capability opens options. It's up to the user's ingenuity to make use of it. I find it useful.

• Bal

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 2 of 5)