Menu

Alternate methods of rendering the base terrain

FreeCol
2021-11-27
2022-03-10
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 2 of 5)
  • Stian Grenborgen

Great work :-) The tile is almost seamless -- and the transitions to other types of terrain look nice.

There is a small part of the image, however, where the zigzag pattern is visible. See the image below for three tiles scaled exactly as in-game (the zigzag pattern is shown enlarged in the bottom right corner of the image).

• Stian Grenborgen

...and yes: Both resizing and transitions to other types of base terrain are now handled automatically :-)

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-08

How about now:

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-08
    • Stian Grenborgen

Now there are extra pixels on the NW and SW edges ... causing the image to long longer fit inside the mask.

I can fix the problem if you like :-)

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-09

Please do! I sued to make them perfect by seeing them in the game, and then applying adjustments. I work with Photoshop largely on instinct. I'm still mastering the art of making the samless iso tiles :)

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-09
  • Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-09

My new Marsh;

• Stian Grenborgen

Great work! :-D

See attached images for in-game rendering with 512x256 and downscaled 256x128.

• Stian Grenborgen

It looks great for other sizes as well, for example 96x48.

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-11

YEAH!!! I've been dreaming of seeing the lush green grasslands in Free Col for years! The old Marshes aren't all that bad when you look at it, but the old grasslands seem to resemble dirt with some green paint spilled on it rather than grass :)

Maybe I should be supplying two or more basic tiles of each terrain for diversity, or better yet nake a few items like flower groupings for grassy terrains and lillies and such for wet terrains, etc. to be randomized and projected over the appropriste terrains. That could really make the terrain look more natural and diverse.

But first, let's make the tileset complete.

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-12
  • Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-11

I hope this Prairie works!

• Stian Grenborgen

The graphics both looks really great and tiles perfectly! :-D

It doesn't feel like a prairie yet, but that is most likely just because I'm used to the old totally yellow tile. And this tile is, by any other measure, better :-P

Good idea adding the yellow flowers ;-)

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-11

You think we should try more yellowish or brownish or green colour scheme?

I gotta admit next to the grassland and marsh it looks kinda white :)

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-11
  • Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-11

I'd hate for it to get visually mixed up with tundra :)
    This version is more like in the original game:

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-11
  • Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-12

Or the brighter variant;
    Changing clour schemes with Photoshop is easy.

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-12
  • Stian Grenborgen

Here's a version where the tile is colorized with greenish yellow.

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-12

The brown part is more like my plains are going to look. I think it needs to look at least partially green and alive, since that's what it looks like in the spring or the rainy season. Besides the original Col I have based it on The litle House on the prairie, the classic serial from the 1980's about family life in the old west. That's where i took the idea of the flowers from. You know the Microproe guys, Sid Meyers, Bryan Reynolds they were all basing their early games like Pirates!, Civ and Col to a large extent on popular culture and children's books... :) That is why the original Col is so cartoony.

Here is an even more yellow-brownish version of the Prairie and let's move on and finisht this tileset :)

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-13
    • Stian Grenborgen

Yes, move on. I am really looking forward to seeing more terrain types! :-D

In-game rendering of your latest prairie:

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-13

It's alittle too dark now and a a scottish ruler patter is showing. It needs updating ;(

This colour... maybe it should be Plains instead of Prairie?!

• Stian Grenborgen

Yes, but not now. It's a good idea to make all the base terrain types before spending too much time on adjustments :-)

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-13

This is what my plains were supposed to look like:

• Stian Grenborgen

It looks good, distinctive and tiles perfectly :-D

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2021-12-14

If you replace the white prairie with THIS and the brown prairie would become plains, I think we'll get colours exactly like in the old game :)

(I would still have to make the brown plains more seamless of course)

Last edit: Misiulo 2021-12-14
        • Stian Grenborgen

Like this?

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 2 of 5)