Menu

Randomly 'boosts' to extremely loud levels for a few seconds.

T R
2020-04-10
2023-01-03
  • T R

T R - 2020-04-10

Hi so I have an issue with this at the moment. Tried even disabling everything from within the app with the 'power button' and it still occurs. This has only started since installing it.

The best way I can describe what's happening is, say audio goes quiet for a couple seconds. At complete random times, when audio starts again, it just 'ramps up' everything as if you are turning gain up well past where it should be, until all you hear is unbearably loud distortion, then a few seconds later it goes back to normal. Even with no audio it just sounds like brown noise when it happens. It's as if it's trying to make quiet things louder but it just keeps going. Another way to describe this might be like a car radio that going past level 40 it starts to distort, but you continue to raise the volume up to 60. I'm trying to explain this the best I can.

This would frequently happen in the short quiet period between songs - as soon as the next song starts, it occasionally just begins to ramp up.

Logitech G936 headset, Windows 10. The only other audio software I have installed is Logitech G Hub which is just a configurator. My settings are just using the Graphic EQ, the preamplification and include are turned off.

Really puzzled as to what is causing this. I am using this software because I find the G936 to be too quiet and much quieter than the G935.

• Juha

Juha - 2020-04-10

Maybe there's Windows own protection system controlling output level ... you should monitor the output level with some software to find out if this is what happens (Orban has nice LoudnessMeter but dunno if it's suitable for this task).
    If there's some low frequency sound making Windows protection to work then try some enough steep HighPass filter to filter out frequencies below say 50 Hz. Here's a custom 4th order HPF you could try (to get 8th order effect use two these lines):

Filter: ON IIR Order 4 Coefficients 0.99511 -3.98046 5.97068 -3.98046 0.99511 1.00000 -3.98862 5.96590 -3.96595 0.98867

• T R

T R - 2020-04-10

Not sure, I don't think it's any specific frequency as it even occurs when talking to people over Discord. The break between people speaking.

It didnt do it for over an hour but it just did it again now twice within a couple minutes.

Playing WoW with sound muted ingame, and just people talking on discord. It's completely random

I'd also try your low pass filter but how would that affect audio playback as in music? Would it reduce bass in music?

• Juha

Juha - 2020-04-11

If it happens while there's silence state in I/O (and your audio device is otherwise in good condition) then it might be related to Windows own auto mute (or auto leveling as what SZ already suggested) feature. Dunno if this feature can be turned off somehow but there's something you could try to test if this is the root for your issue.

You could open another continous audio stream and play it volume set low enough (not muted) ... this would keep the audio path open. As an alternative, you could install Voicemeeter BANANA and set it to use ASIO (maybe WDM/KS or WASAPI Shared mode works in this as well) as its output device. Remember set system to use Voicemeeter as its I/O device. If your audio device does not have native ASIO drivers, you could try if Asio4All works in this.

Sometimes just running ASIO device using software in background (no audio streams needed) prevents Windows to shud down the audio device but, this can be done only when certain features are available (ASIO tends to lock the device for just this one software ...).

Of course there could be a bug in EqualizerAPO/GraphicEQ (how it acts in situation described above) but as both has run quite long already and you're maybe the first here to report this type of issue ... .

Last edit: Juha 2020-04-11
  • Slim Zerker

Slim Zerker - 2020-04-10

Scan for Malware and viruses, as sometimes that have those hooks and delays like that. Sounds like you have auto levling volume engaged either on discord or another app)

Last edit: Slim Zerker 2020-04-10
  • T R

T R - 2020-04-10

Thanks for the advice. I just ran a full scan with Malwarebytes and nothing came up.

There are no extra audio options with Windows 10 (no 'Enhancements' tab), but I have tried disabling application exclusive control and surround sound. In Logitech Ghub, equalizer is set to flat as well.

I can't see any frequency or specific app causing it. 10mins ago I had to pause music for 5sec because it happened but it didnt occur for an hour or so beforehand.

Last edit: T R 2020-04-10
  • T R

T R - 2020-04-12

A couple more observations today. When it occurs, audio goes to basically inaudible levels before it ramps up to the issue I am having. When I have music playing and disable the EQ with the 'power button' it does the same thing.

Also muting audio does nothing, nor does taking headset off and waiting it out. Audio must completely stop from the source for a few seconds before it stops. It has a quick 'ramp down' but if it isn't fully 'ramped down' it just goes straight back to the issue.

Today I have also tried disabling the three enhancement options in Discord to no avail. There must be some other audio loudness equilization happening?

Last edit: T R 2020-04-12
  • Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-04-12

I'm just wondering if the software (driver) of Logitech is doing all this. Or perhaps there's some incompability between this software and Equalizer APO. If so, there are 2 things you could try. First, uninstall the Logitech software and use the basic Windows audio driver. Unfortunately installing a new driver means installing Equalizer APO again (as it does some rerouting to get to the audio stream). If the problem keeps popping up in this case there's something weird going on.
    Second, try some troubleshooting options of the Configurator for your Logitech headset, for instance Install as EFX/MFX. Some have reported that this may work but any other option can do the trick. You have to restart your computer after setting an option or options.

• Slim Zerker

Slim Zerker - 2020-04-12

That could be.. I know (Logitech G500 mouse) if I don't have to wheel scroll in the lock position, the free spin will creep by itself, so that could be a issue.

• T R

T R - 2020-04-17

I've found that equalizer APO overrides any audio settings within the logitech app. If I disable equalizer APO and try change settings in G-Hub, nothing changes. I'll try EFX/MFX as well and report back

• T R

T R - 2020-04-17

I just tried it, the only other options than the default are SFX/MFX and SFX/MFX experimental.

With SFX/MFX and the equalizer enabled, at the desktop without audio playing, there is a pulsing 'zapping' sound changing pitch constantly. Disabling the equalizer stops the noise.

Just uninstalled G-Hub completely and when running configurator I had to reinstall APO for my headset, I'll update here in a bit. I did not try this before as I didn't think G-Hub would have an impact.

UPDATE: Since uninstalling G-Hub the issue has not occurred as of yet. Disabling and Enabling the EQ does not change the volume of audio as such unlike while I had G-Hub installed. It just clearly changes the tone of audio playing with some sort of fade between ON and OFF. Will update again in a few days (or sooner) if I have the issue again.

UPDATE 2: Moving equalizer around 10dB higher (all freqnencies selected) than the preset below does show a big difference when enabling and disabling. Still no issue as of yet and its been over an hour. When discord 'pings' for posts/notifications, music does dip so the sound is clear.

UPDATE 3: Did not fix it, it just did it again. Following this instance, it has repeatedly done it when sound goes quiet briefly. I joined a Discord chat and paused music and it happened almost every time someone spoke.

Last edit: T R 2020-04-17
  • David Pacheco

David Pacheco - 2021-05-14

Hello,

I am having the same problem, randomly, a silence of almost 1 second is generated .. have you managed to solve it?

• T R

T R - 2021-05-15

Hi David,
      Yes it was caused as I had the pre-amplifying too high.
      Because of the way equalizer apo works, if the pre-amplifying or any of the gains at any frequencies are set too high, it can glitch out.

I leave my pre-amplifying set to 0db unless listening to some older music that's quieter.
      This may be different for your setup, but I have most of my gains set between 0 and 10db apart from a couple which are around 15db and although this still isn't ideal I haven't had any issues since.

• David Pacheco

David Pacheco - 2021-05-15

Thanks

It seems that we do not share the same problem, I am using CraveEQ as an equalizer, and then I had the preamp at -4db to compensate, I have tried to remove the preamp and reduce the gain from the plugin itself and it also happens.

If I disable CraveEQ then it doesn't happen.

I'll keep doing tests :(

• Juha

Juha - 2021-05-15

Does it show in CPU usage? If it does it may be denormals in question:

Denormals (or subnormals) are very small floating point numbers. When they drop below a threshold size, many CPUs (under many different conditions) exhibit considerable drops in performance when processing them. These drops can be as much as a factor of 100 times!

• David Pacheco

Yes, CPU usage is very low, 0.01%

My windows configuration is in high performance.

• T R

T R - 2021-05-15

Sorry David, haven't used other equalizers so I can't help here. Best of luck

Maybe someone else here has some insight into your issue. Please update here if you find an answer

Last edit: T R 2021-05-15
            • Juha

Juha - 2021-05-15

Hmm... regarding CraveEQ ...

*... Buying a license prevents the audio fading out periodically in the trial version.*

so, if you paid a license already, you should register it.

Last edit: Juha 2021-05-15
              • David Pacheco

The plugin is activated, although it could be that it was failing, I'm going to try another EQ to rule out.

Thanks!

Edit: The problem is definitely related to the license management of the plugin.

The same is also true for Voxengo plugins.

I am now with Fabfilter's ProQ and it works flawlessly so I will use this one instead of CraveEQ, thanks Juha!

Last edit: David Pacheco 2021-05-15
                • Juha

Juha - 2021-08-04

This post might give an answer to this CraveEQ issue.

• T R

T R - 2021-07-02

Little update. Completely new laptop now, brand new and set it up from scratch. Default flat profile in it is clipping now at max volume (not an issue with PEACE).

This means I need to set up my own equalizer and set the pre-amplifying to a negative level. Currently using my old preset a -5.5dB pre-amp and it still clips. This headset is a Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless which I had before on the prior setup and could use a 18-20dB preamp withou distortion or clipping.

I guess this is more proof that everyone has a case-by-case situation which makes it hard with these issues.

Last edit: T R 2021-07-02
    • Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2021-07-02

Thanks for sharing your experience. So setting the right pre-amplifying for a device is sometimes necessary, Could be a negative or positive dB value.

• T R

T R - 2021-07-03

Yep. I was a bit surprised. I even copied my old equalizer profile straight off the old laptop so it was a like-for-like comparison of how it was set up.

• ty evans

ty evans - 2023-01-03

hi, sorry for replying 3 years later but i'm also having the same issue. i thought my pc was responsible at first but i figured out it was equalizer apo because it was the only downloaded program that affects playback. the gain problem was perfectly explained in original post (sound randomly drops and ramps up, becoming deafening and distorted and i have to take off my earphones and wait) and it often happens on fl studio and filmora. i installed equalizer apo on my laptop too because i wanted its sound quality the same as my pc’s, and the gain problem began occurring on my laptop too. the only settings i have are; playback: preamp at 10db and custom graphic eq. I was wondering if you found out a way to fix it. (sorry if the explanation was bad i'm not good with pc internals and audio engineering.)

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2023-01-03

Which features of Equalizer APO are you using? If using Graphic EQ: This sometimes has these kind of issues. I always advise not to use it and go with filters for equalizating the sound.

And perhaps you can try to set another "Install as", for instance SFX/MFX or even the old LFX/GFX.