Menu

Microphone setup, Win10, Mixxx

2021-05-22
2021-05-23
  • Vincent Sylvester

Sorry to bother you fine folks again. I recently had to upgrade to Win10 from my working setup on Win7 and I tried to setup my microphone for Mixxx piped through APO again, but that does not seem to have any effect.

Installed APO as normal, configured to install to the Blue Yeti microphone connected via usb. Loaded the previous config file from the old install into it and switched Mixxx to use DirectSound with the microphone in being the Yeti.

Previously this worked fine, but in Win10 I get raw output from the microphone directly not being passed through APO at all it seems as making changes to the config has no audible effect in Mixxx.

Do I need to do something else to get this to work? Should I install APO in a specific way? Do I need a different sound driver?

Last edit: Vincent Sylvester 2021-05-22
  • Vincent Sylvester

It appears somehow I solved this by stopping the windows audio service, installing APO, then starting that again. Now the embedded config loads and the endpoint passes through APO. I suppose somehow Win10 in its infinite wisdom blocked proper install of APO, though I wonder why that has something to do with windows audio service. Don't think APO modifies any files there it only hooks into the endpoint builder no?

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2021-05-23

The Configurator and/or installer of Equalizer APO sets the DisableProtectedAudioDG value to 1 of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio key. This disables the signature checking of Windows and allows the processing engine equalizerapo.dll to process the rerouted audio stream. Sometimes Windows restores this value to 0 again usually after a Windows update. Stopping the audio service then installing Equalizer APO and then starting the service is one way to go.