Menu

CmdLine Support ?

2020-03-25
2020-03-28
  • choppedartisan

choppedartisan - 2020-03-25

I have searched the interwebz, but found nothing about this.

What I have in mind :

Use channel copy for audio upmix
    Only when certain apps (Chrome..) are open
    Enable app through Task Scheduler when Chrome is launched.
    Disable app when Chrome is not running/is closed.

Why :
    Channel copy will mess up my Gaming experience as well as when playing 5.1 video files.

Is there a way to turn on/off the app without GUI interaction ?

• Juha

Juha - 2020-03-25

You could make a batch file (or script) to start Chrome ... which first copies specific config.txt to EqualizerAPO folder and then starts Chrome and after exiting the Chrome copies another config.txt file which has no effects entered. (I'm running Ubuntu so can't help much more).

• choppedartisan

choppedartisan - 2020-03-25

HOLY DEUCE! Your idea works. Another thing I get to learn today. Thanks a lot, stranger!

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-03-27

A batch file is alright but what about using an app designed for switching configs? With the Peace interface for Equalizer APO you can switch between configs by mouse click, by hotkey (from within any program like your games), by system tray and by desktop icon.

As you stated "Enable app through Task Scheduler when Chrome is launched" Peace can switch to configs through its automation window. Just attach the config to the launching of Chrome.

• choppedartisan

choppedartisan - 2020-03-27

Hi. I looked at your app. It feels great.
      However, what I noticed :
      .Automation works for program startup only.
      .OnExit the config remains active (I would prefer automation instead of constantly having to remember to switch profile when I feel the need for entertainment)

You might have guessed, or not. Google doesn't upmix audio to >2 channels. I looked and found EqAPO for this purpose, but implementing my idea has become a nightmare.

My question: Is there a way to create a Youtube-specific profile? That is, PeaceUI detects when a browser (taking into consideration PID, or whatever) is launched/closed. Or, simply, add an option to deactivate config whenever any app !=chrome (consider: Chrome not in memory) is launched ?

• Peter Verbeek

When the program is shut down, Peace reverts back to the former config. But it would be nice to have a "OnExit" config added too. That way one can target the right exit config as you're requesting. I could put it on the feature wish list for the next release.

As YouTube is in the browser screen as a web page there isn't a way (or easy way) for Peace to figure out if a YouTube video is being started and stopped. The idea is of course awesome. The only thing you can do right now is attach the config to every used browser. But your second idea is perhaps the way forward. Now the program startup config is shown onto the main Peace window. In principle this is nice so you can see what's going on. But it could work like you said so like this:
    Chrome detected activate attached config in the background.
    Chrome closed deactivate attached config in the background.
    This way the main Peace window stays free for having another config or none.

About the upmixing, although Equalizer APO has an "inputChannelCount" variable it appears you're able to do this:

If: inputChannelCount == 2
        #upmix commands
     EndIf:

but this doesn't work. It's about input channels not about the input signal. If the input signal is a 2 channel input sample (stereo audio) the inputChannelCount variable still can say 6 or 8. In other words this is the main obstacle. Therefroe the upmix switch on the Peace Effects panel is a straightforward upmix without the inputChannelCount variable.

• choppedartisan

choppedartisan - 2020-03-27

inputChannelCount doesn't work for me. It doesn't recognize Youtube's 2 Channel audio stream. The "upmix" profile stays active for everything.

I am very pleased with this interaction! I hope this can be implemented onto future versions.

If you permit me, I have a suggestion. Succesfully implementing this, you will definitely attract all those who have wanted audio upmix in Youtube. You can advertise your app for being able to accomplish that. You might specify (as a disclaimer) that, while active, true 5.1 audio source will not work as intended until the browser is closed.

Last edit: choppedartisan 2020-03-27
  • Peter Verbeek

Yes, that's why I mentioned the inputChannelCount variable which so many have tried to use for upmixing.

Unfortunately a quick Google search didn't bring me closer to detecting when a YouTube video is started (so detecting when streaming). I'm bit concerned about implementing a solution which activates an upmix when starting Chrome, etc. If you want to play a game, you always need to close Chrome in order to deactivate the upmix. Your idea of a disclaimer is alright but it isn't the most userfriendly. I leave Firefox on all the time whilst doing other stuff (gaming, developing, creating). Of course I agree with the notion of attracting people. It would be very nice indeed. Anyway, I've put it on the Peace wishlist.

• Matt Gore

Matt Gore - 2020-03-27

I guess the best you can do is either switch to Firefox which correctly plays stereo files or use something like SVPtube to externally play YT videos.

• choppedartisan

choppedartisan - 2020-03-28

Presently, I am using the next best solution. It's guerilla, but works. I acquired Voicemeeter, used Stereo Repeat. On Chrome, I used AudioPick to switch its output to the virtual device created by Voicemeeter. This way, audio upmix only affects whatever is going through the virtual channel, and does not affect my media players and games.

Until I can try the new versions of PeaceUi, I'll be sticking to this. I'll still keep in mind the things I have learnt here. And, THANKS EVERYONE!

Last edit: choppedartisan 2020-03-28