Menu

Pitfall Mayan adventure..not lost expedition

2021-06-20
2024-01-26
1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)
  • Ricardo J Valls Tomey

Hello Gho...ur thr creator of dxwnd and cd audio proxy...can u add support for pitfall mayan adv for cd music..the original game works with real analog...new computer mobos do t come with analog no more
    .plus dvd rs or bluelray are sata no more analog..thr solution is you adding the game sipport thru virtual cd audio? can you help .adding the game cd virtual audio?

• gho

gho - 2021-06-21

Message received, I'll try to buid a configuration with sounds when back from my short vacation.

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

It seems ur busy Gho..maybe when u have time..
    thanks

Last edit: Ricardo J Valls Tomey 2021-06-23
    • gho

gho - 2021-06-23

I'm trying, but the game has a peculiarity: despite being installed to HD, it pretends to be run by the CD. This means that (in theory) I should place the ripped audio tracks on the CD folders that are impossible to write.
      In addition, the game seems to ignore some hacks, for instance it tells that the video should be set to 256 colors despite DxWnd is trying to emulate this video mode.
      An interesting case! There is work in progress ...

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

Can u make it work from cd? using digital playback instead..like emulate aux? U have that feature..

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

proabably game .will work if u figure it out using...Emulate Cd Aux
    .using the cd thru digital playback..remove analog code.. smtjing like that..

• gho

gho - 2021-06-23

The game is showing a few peculiarities, some handled by DxWnd, some not yet ...
    Let's go with order.

The game expects to be run from the CD, clicking on X:\PITSTART.EXE where X: is whatever CD drive letter where the CD is inserted. PITSTART.EXE in turn copies some of the files to the user temporary folder and run PITFALL.EXE from there. It also expects that the video mode is set to 8bit color mode with palette.

A first problem is that the video mode is detected also by using GetDeviceCaps(NUMCOLORS) on the desktop DC, an operation that for some games is better returning -1 (error) but in this case it should return 256. I fixed this in an experimental DxWnd release, but I have to verify if the behavior is correct or I should add another flag (oh, noo!!).

Second problem is that the game checks for the presence of audio tracks, but since the execution folder is in the temp folder, the ripped tracks should be there as well, where they risk to be deleted at every system restart. Maybe I should add a flag to make the tracks to be searched somewhere else (ach! another flag!!).

Third problem is that the game is not happy about the simulated CD. The game queries the length of track #8 and terminates. Maybe an approximate value is no good and the game uses some conventional value as a CD-check protection schema? I'll have to verify ....

So, at the moment we have nothing but a list of troubles, but be patient, there's work going on.

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

For sound. u change wail32.dll ..u can put game in win95 compatibility amd the game plays the sound effects..somebody provised that in vogons too
    thr cdrom protection is in the original pitsart from cdrom...
    somebody from vogons site provided a pitstart.exe without..cd protection..
    so when u run the fame is still runs..wothout music..
    the original pistart...closes the game after saying...
    The game needs the cdromq

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

Gho want me to provide u those 2 files?
    wail32.dll and pitfall.exe
    the game can be run too from Assets..
    Pitfall.exe

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

here boss:

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

and here

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

ok Gho try with those and let me know about the cd music..i dont mind about the graphics the game.is still playable

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

try to run the game using the wail32.dll i gave amd using pitfall.exe from a afolder called Assets.
    maybe from there u have no problems with cdrom protection..we will see

• gho

gho - 2021-06-23

Things are not that easy.
    The executable PITFALL.EXE works (both the original and cracked versions) but it makes no attempt to play anything from the CD. It doesn't even look for the preence of a CD and audio tracks. I saw that there are registry entries under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Activision\Pitfall] and some keys in particular talks about the CD, so I tried to force these values to active values, like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Activision\Pitfall]
    "Option_CDVolume"=dword:50
    "Option_WavVolume"=dword:50
    "Option_CDMusic"=dword:50
    "Option_CDAmbient"=dword:50
    "Option_SoundEnabled"=dword:100

Despite this, if you run PITFALL.EXE and select Properties -> Sound, you'll see that all sound options are grayed and blocked. It looks as if the launcher PITSTART.EXE somehow enables the PITFALL.EXE son process to use the CD music and bypassing the launcher kills the CD music.
    So, again, the problem seems to understand better the complex dance between these two processes and their copies to emulate it better.

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

but the spjnd effects u can make ot available..if u change compatibility to win95 and adding
    wail32.dll to the folder

• gho

gho - 2021-06-24

In effect, the provided wail32.dll plus setting Win95 compatibility to the executable can activate the sound effects, but only these. There are still some problems:
    1) the Win95 compatibility is often incompatible with DxWnd hooks. It may happen (not always, but it's difficult to control) that you will have to chose either one or the other solution.
    2) despite that, and despite all attempts to emulate the CD content, the CD audio tracks are still locked and unused. I saw a piece of assembly where the game gets info about the audio track 8 and performs a very strict control on its length, so I tried to hack this part bypassing all the controls, but it didn't work. Probably there are more traps to deactivate!

Last edit: gho 2021-06-24
  • Ricardo J Valls Tomey

I got it working with using Vmware i mean windows 98 from cd running..and daemon tools 3.47 that jas analog audio emulation
    .and still dont work....it gotta br like a hardware problem..cause i have working i. my pc a creTive soundcard with cdrom input on board and still dont work using promise technolgy ide...too..i tried different methods..my pc is sata ....no more analog . so it got to be a hardware..problem. probably the ide controller unlocks the cdaudio having the aud input or cdrom input onboard....my pc dont have that..is like a audio codec?

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

boss,Gho..i think the cd music and cd ambient is unlock by the hardware...a hardware that had nalognaudio as AUX input in thr motherboard...the game was made for analog and not digital...by that digital not pissible cause cpu was too slow...it was like 133mhz and 16 of ram..so if u cant. make it work..ill buy a old mobo eith aux input ..i know the game will work with cd

• dippy dipper

dippy dipper - 2021-06-25

Sorry, but that analog CD aux theory is nonsense. The music is played from the CD probably through the wail32.dll library. There is also evidence that the original disc plays CD audio fine as per this blog:
    https://thisoldrecliner.neocities.org/pitfall.html

Now I don't have the original disc and I assume you are also using cd images downloaded from the net. So in this case any kind of more complex copy protection requires a cracked pitfall.exe. Things are further complicated by the fact that the game runs from a temporary folder and deletes itself from there when you quit. It is very hard to even get the game to see and use an external music folder with ripped tracks in this case. Furthermore it might be that the game passes commands to wail32.dll which then communicates with the MCI api. In this case there might be difficulties hooking these calls maybe.

• dippy dipper

Oh, would you look at that! SourceForges artificial stupidity has eaten my post again.

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

Wrong i got the original and still dont work....
    it still depend on the hardware ..probably those ppl who got it working their pc has Sata drives and ide too...with analog cable connected ..i can assure u that....if not pitfall is working with digital audio instead

• dippy dipper

Analog audio lead from a sound card to an IDE drive on a 64-bit Windows system? Seems unlikely.

Since you have the original disc could it be that it is an issue with the optical drive letter? E.g. the game could be searching for the disc in the wrong drive letter. Old games can assume that the system has just one optical drive.

• dippy dipper

For system emulation are you sure Vmware supports cdaudio? Most virtual machines like VirtualBox do not. The only emulator I know for sure that supports it is PCem.

• Ricardo J Valls Tomey

..di thanks for the info ..i got virtualbox eo Pcem do th cdaudio?

• huh

huh - 2021-06-26

@gho, @dippy dipper
    Interesting, I have no problems playing music here in Win7 (if it's the same game Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure). I used CD Image + MagicDisk, not a physical CD.
    DxWnd CDaudio emulation also doesn't work here for me.
    Here is a comparison of protocols, maybe we have something wrong in emulation?

CD Image - MagicDisk
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0000 msg=0x803(MCI_OPEN) flags=0x2000(MCI_OPEN_TYPE)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_OPEN cb=0 devid=0 devtype=cdaudio elementname= alias=
    mciSendCommand<<: MCI_OPEN cb=0 devid=0x1 devtype=cdaudio elementname= alias=
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0001 msg=0x80d(MCI_SET) flags=0x400(MCI_SET_TIME_FORMAT)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_SET cb=0 audio=0 timeformat=0x2(MSF)
    mciSendCommand<<: MCI_SET cb=0 audio=0 timeformat=0x2(MSF)
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0001 msg=0x814(MCI_STATUS) flags=0x110(MCI_TRACK+STATUS_ITEM)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_STATUS cb=0x18fe50 ret=0x71ae4488 item=0x1(LENGTH) track=0x8
    mciSendCommand<<: MCI_STATUS cb=0x18fe50 ret=0xc2004 item=0x1(LENGTH) track=0x8
    mciSendCommandA: Item=1 Track=8 return=0xc2004
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0001 msg=0x814(MCI_STATUS) flags=0x110(MCI_TRACK+STATUS_ITEM)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_STATUS cb=0x18fe50 ret=0xc2004 item=0x1(LENGTH) track=0x7
    mciSendCommand<<: MCI_STATUS cb=0x18fe50 ret=0x210704 item=0x1(LENGTH) track=0x7
    mciSendCommandA: Item=1 Track=7 return=0x210704
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0001 msg=0x80d(MCI_SET) flags=0x400(MCI_SET_TIME_FORMAT)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_SET cb=0 audio=0 timeformat=0xa(TMSF)
    mciSendCommand<<: MCI_SET cb=0 audio=0 timeformat=0xa(TMSF)
    auxGetNumDevs: ret=0
    SetPriorityClass: hProcess=0xffffffff class=0x20
    CloseHandle: hObject=0x200
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0001 msg=0x806(MCI_PLAY) flags=0xd(MCI_NOTIFY+FROM+TO)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_PLAY cb=0x6208c2 from=0x2 to=0x3
    mciSendCommand<<: MCI_PLAY cb=0x6208c2 from=0x2 to=0x3
    DestroyWindow: hwnd=0x69092a

CD emulation - DxWnd
    Emulating total of 24 CD tracks. First=02.00.00 Last=24.00.41

MCI_OPEN_TYPE -> cdaudio
    Returning magic device id=1 for MCI_OPEN_TYPE_ID cdaudio
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_SET cb=0 audio=0 timeformat=0x2(MSF)
    MCI_SET_TIME_FORMAT format=MSF
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_STATUS cb=0x18fe50 ret=0x71ae4488 item=0x1(LENGTH) track=0x8
    MCI_STATUS
    MCI_TRACK dwTrack = 8
    MCI_STATUS_ITEM
    MCI_STATUS_LENGTH tf=MSF
    DecodeSec(32) -> format=MSF res=00002004
    params->dwReturn=8196(0x2004)
    mciSendCommandA: IDDevice=0x0001 msg=0x804(MCI_CLOSE) flags=0(NULL)
    mciSendCommand>>: MCI_CLOSE params=(NULL)
    Unlocking mciId=0x1
    MessageBoxTimeoutA: hwnd=0 text="Pitfall must be played using the CD-ROM." caption="Pitfall" type=16 lang=0 msec=-1

1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)