Menu

Ditto doesn't start at boot anymore

Help
2020-03-11
2020-11-28
  • Jeff Jensen

Jeff Jensen - 2020-03-11

Recently, Ditto stopped starting at Windows boot. I think it happened after a recent Windows update (not confirmed); multiple programs simultaneously stopped starting at boot (Slack, Discord, and more), but after resetting their startup at boot config, they started running at boot again.

However, I've not been able to have Ditto start at boot again.

I verified:
    Ditto option "Start Ditto at Startup" in on.
    Windows shows it's configured to start at boot.

I also manually added the Ditto shortcut to the Windows Startup folder.

Any suggestions for what to check or set to fix the boot startup problem?

• Jeff Jensen

Jeff Jensen - 2020-03-14

Ditto was set to "Run as Administrator". I turned that off and now it starts at boot. I wonder why that prevented it from starting. I'm glad that problem is fixed. Best I can tell, everything is working still.

Now it does not appear in the tool tray tho, but that's minor; can easily not have that. Yes, the "Display in Tooltray" is true.

• L Abari

L Abari - 2020-11-20

To get it to run as administrator in on STARTUP - create a vbs script - there's a posting from somewhere on the web which worked for me:

This is a little old, but I was having the same problems, and none of the above was working. What I did was create a VBScript that ran at startup that opened said program.

Right-click on the program, go to properties, then compatibility and check "Run as Administrator"

Create the VBScript using a text editor (I use Notepad++)

Script:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
    WshShell.Run """C:\Program Files (x86)\File\Program.exe""", 0 'Must quote command if it has spaces; must escape quotes
    Set WshShell = Nothing

Note: that C:\Program Files (x86)\File\Program.exe is the full path to the program with extension. Also, make sure to save it as a .vbs

Now place the VBScript in the startup folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or, alternatively access it by Win+R ⇒ shell:startup ⇒ Enter

I used this instead of a batch file because I did not want that ugly command window showing up.

• TA2DF

TA2DF - 2020-11-28

You can do that more easily by creating a new task via Task Scheduler.