Migrate from GitHub to SourceForge with this tool. Check out all of SourceForge's recent improvements.
Close

#2621 Copy edit help topic

Branch_+_Trunk
closed-accepted
nobody
Docs (328)
5
2008-07-17
2008-07-14
denisb
No

Not a major rewrite: mainly tested the procedures and cleaned up the language a little.

Replaced 'Open dialog' with 'Select Files or Folders dialog' throughout, because that is the dialog's title. Maybe it should be titled "Open", like the menu item?

In source, commented out the tip about using the MRU - I couldn't figure out how to select multiple paths from the MRU - maybe this is obsolete functionality?

Discussion

  • denisb

    denisb - 2008-07-14

    archive with TortoiseSVN patch and changed files

     
  • Kimmo Varis

    Kimmo Varis - 2008-07-15
    • status: open --> open-accepted
     
  • Kimmo Varis

    Kimmo Varis - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=631874
    Originator: NO

    After applying the patch there were build error - three non-UTF-8 chars in the file. I fixed this by converting the file to UTF-8 (without BOM) using Notepad++. But I'm a bit curious why this error happened in the first place. The XML has UTF-8 encoding specified so I assume your editor saved it as UTF-8. Why the patch file then didn't have UTF-8?

    Committed to SVN trunk:
    Completed: At revision: 5616

    Committed to 2.10 branch:
    Completed: At revision: 5617

     
  • denisb

    denisb - 2008-07-15

    Patch file for minor edit to two help topics

     
  • denisb

    denisb - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=431345
    Originator: YES

    Fix typos, minor edit to two topics for r5617 in attached winmerge-minordocedit-5617.patch file
    File Added: winmerge-minordocedit-5617.patch

     
  • denisb

    denisb - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=431345
    Originator: YES

    I'm mystified too: I don't see this error in my doc builds, not sure how to reproduce. Not even sure how to check a text file's encoding. Could it be something with Tortoise settings?

    As a workaround, maybe I should do the same: save all my patch files as UTF-8 in Notepad.

     
  • Kimmo Varis

    Kimmo Varis - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=631874
    Originator: NO

    Open_paths.xml, paragraph in line 67 ends a bit weird. Just forgot to finish it?

    I get the UTF-8 error from build by taking a previous version from SVN, then applying the patch as saved from here using Firefox. It is hard to say where it breaks since there were no UTF-8 chars previously in the file. So TortoiseSVN simly could miss the fact it now should create UTF-8 patch. Anyway, the updated patch didn't have any problems.

    One way to check file encoding is to use advanced editor like Notepad++ which seems to do a pretty good job (and allows conversions) with encodings. And WinMerge can also detect UTF-8.

    Update committed to SVN trunk:
    Completed: At revision: 5618

    and to 2.10 branch:
    Completed: At revision: 5619

     
  • denisb

    denisb - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=431345
    Originator: YES

    Thanks for catching the typo - corrected patch uploaded. Notepad++ says it's UTF-8 w/o BOM, so hope it's okay. I'll try to check all patches this way...

    FWIW, I changed line length to 80 in XMLMind.
    File Added: winmerge-doc-minor-edit-5619.patch

     
  • Kimmo Varis

    Kimmo Varis - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=631874
    Originator: NO

    Thanks, the patch worked ok now.

    Committed to SVN trunk:
    Completed: At revision: 5622

    And to 2.10 branch:
    Completed: At revision: 5623

     
  • Kimmo Varis

    Kimmo Varis - 2008-07-17
    • milestone: --> Branch_+_Trunk
    • status: open-accepted --> closed-accepted
     
  • Kimmo Varis

    Kimmo Varis - 2008-07-17

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=631874
    Originator: NO

    Closing this item.

     

Log in to post a comment.