Menu

Windows 11 support

Brick Wall
2021-10-26
2021-11-09
  • Brick Wall

Brick Wall - 2021-10-26

Is there a time line when VC will work with Windows 11?

Brick Wall

• hiddengod

hiddengod - 2021-10-26

yes, 3 months ago when it was released. When will people realize that windows 11 is just a reskinned windows 10 mostly ?

😄
  • Brick Wall

Brick Wall - 2021-10-27

No, that was the approximate release time of Windows 11, 20210624 to be exact.
    That was not my question. To reiterate.
    I need to know when there will be a version of VeraCrypt that will successfully install on Windows 11. As currently it throws an unsupported OS error. On Windows 11 with all current updates.

• AJ B

AJ B - 2021-10-28

Hi Brick Wall,

I’m afraid that right now there is no timeline for compatibility with Window 11.

I’m not associated with the VeraCrypt project and I'm just an interested long term user of VeraCrypt. I have also made 2 generous financial donations to the project since the 1.25 RC1 version to help Mounir out since I'm not a software developer. I know the difficulties being experienced right now in relation to releasing an updated version for just Windows 10 right now (with possible support for Windows 7 too).

The following thread with posts from Mounir and Enigma2Illusion will inform you better than I can on the current difficulties and possible solutions in the medium term. Windows 11 will take significantly more effort, and this is a volunteer one-person developer project:

https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/general/thread/cf230ea553/?page=0

I hope this is useful and thanks for your support of the project.

Last edit: AJ B 2021-10-28
  • Brick Wall

Brick Wall - 2021-10-28

AJ B
    Thank you for reading and answering my question with pertinent information. Like you I also have been a long term user beginning back in the TrueCrypt days. This is unfortunate as I am starting to tinker with W11 in a VM. I was going to begin using W11 for a portion of work I have and VeraCrypt is a mandatory component. I hope that the challenges are overcome and this fantastic product will continue to evolve as the Microsoft push toward their planned obsolescence of their OSs marches forward.

• webby

webby - 2021-11-04

FYI, I've been successfully using veracrypt (1.24-update7) since Win11 released (both in Hyper-V VMs and physical PC) and not getting an error msgs. Maybe it's just something in your environment?

• Brick Wall

Brick Wall - 2021-11-04

I am running W11 on VMware workstation 15.5. I am now very curious as to what the difference might be. I have all the current updates installed. Is your W11 installation completely updated? maybe an update broke it?

• Brick Wall

Brick Wall - 2021-11-04

I'm running W11 21H2 build 22000.282
          When I launch the installer it just straight up says can't install on this OS. Call someone who cares. And that's where it stops.
          I've tried the compatibility system, and it still won't install.

But it just occurred to me to try the portable version. And that one works.
          Wow! That took me a while to remember.

+thank

• webby

webby - 2021-11-04

Yes it is all updated, KB5006674, KB5005537,KB5006363 and KB5006746 are the only W11 updates I'm aware of. You mention you're using VMware so maybe that's the issue?

• Hyper.nl

Hyper.nl - 2021-11-09

I have an issue with VeraCrypt system encryption on Windows 11.
    I selected to mount additional file-hosted VeraCrypt volumes during early system boot, but instead of that happening, VeraCrypt mounts the volumes after user logon. This causes applications to malfunction because their drives are missing at login.

Is there any way to force VeraCrypt system encryption to mount the volumes during early windows startup instead of Windows user login?