Menu

When does "7-Zip" support more formats ???

2005-08-03
2012-12-08
<< < 1 2 3 4 .. 7 > >> (Page 2 of 7)
  • Nobody/Anonymous

for details see:
    http://www.sqx-archiver.org/download.html
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    SQX SDK 2.0 (07/22/2005)
    - Download:   http://www.sp-download.de/sqx/SQX-SDK_v200.sqx
    (The SQX SDK comes along with sources, source samples as well as precompiled DLLs.)
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Additional tools
    - Download:   http://www.sp-download.de/sq5/UnSqueez.exe
    (UnSqueez is a small program for extracting SQX archives.)

• Nobody/Anonymous

As for the JAR archiver that did not become the successor of ARJ: I used it some 5 years ago and it used by default the extension ".j" , not ".jar", I do not know if this changed, but at the time it looked like they were no more developing the program.

By the way it had the ability to store multiple versions of the same file and just stored the differences between versions to save space: it was a great feature.

D.

• Nobody/Anonymous

More formats in the next version (4.27) ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Is it to difficult to add more format, which 7z can read ?
    I think, you need only the dll's of all the free compression formats.
    Is it not so ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

"IzArc" is a compression program for unpacking an immense number of formats.
    "7-Zip" against it possesses one of the highest compression rates.
    But "IzArc" can not only read but also write the format.
    Therefore "7-Zip" should become something better!

[Thank you for "7-Zip"]

• Nobody/Anonymous

Please can add a function "to convert all supported formats into 7z or zip format" (by only few clicks)!

• Nobody/Anonymous

IZArc supports these formats:
    7z, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CDI, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, IZE, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MDF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO
    7-Zip supports only these formats:
    7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, LZH, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB
    It's time for 7-Zip to add more formats !

• Nobody/Anonymous

Igor should spend his time making the 7z format better, not adding a million and one formats.

• Nobody/Anonymous

But nevertheless the really purpose of a compression tool is mainly the packing and also the UNPACKING of archives!
    Also less well-known archives formats should be supported!

Finally a painter uses also not only white or red color, because these sells itself best!!!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I think you want 7-z to be  the swiss army knife of extractors, but that is not practical since only Igor develops the program.

This task would require external developers that donate code to the project.

D.

• Nobody/Anonymous

The best solution for a mostly bug-free program would be to support a limited number of rather widely spread formats.

My wish would be to rather support a limited range of formats fully (eg. reading archive comments, supporting muli-volume archives), than a big number of formats just partly. So if 7 zip claims to support zip, then please support nearly every arj file, rather than just special ones.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Coding for formats that nobody uses is a waste of time. *Using* old inefficient formats is a waste of time.
    To first msg: This is not a museum. Some of those formats haven't been used for 25 years. And I do know of more you haven't "found" yet. Shouldn't they be included? Even if there are zero files of such?

Before coding a format, it should be justified by actual widespread use and a real need.

And not ancient junk novel formats ***already covered in IZArc.***

There are so many other important features that can be implemented/improved in 7-Zip than wasting time coding for ancient junk novel formats.

And where's the WinRar crowd??? They are always whining that WinRar does such an such so why doesn't 7-Zip? WinRar doesn't waste its time supporting ancient junk novel formats.

• Nobody/Anonymous

7-ZIP does support all USEFUL formats NOW.

"IZArc supports these formats:
    7z, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CDI, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, IZE, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MDF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO"

YES. But it is a crap. I could even NOT extract a ZIP
    with it.

• Ares

Ares - 2005-09-08

>YES. But it is a crap. I could even NOT extract a ZIP with it.

I checked out the new beta of IZArc and I liked the interface, but then I went to extract one of my existing 7z files and got 0-byte files.  The archive was made with v4.26 of 7-zip, and 7-zip extracted it just fine.  IZArc just doesn't seem to work.

I'm sure it has worked for others, don't get me wrong, but it isn't working for me.

-Ares

• Nobody/Anonymous

7zip could not unzip some zip file as well.

• Nobody/Anonymous

If 7-zip is unable to extract some ZIP file.
      So it is equally crap.

Search this forum, lots of ZIP file samples where 7-zip is unable to extract.

• Nobody/Anonymous

an answer to D. :
    Yes I want 7-z to be the swiss army knife of extractors.
    And I know that would require external developers.
    (I am not a programer. ;-( )

But exist there anyone who will help Igor???

• Nobody/Anonymous

To date I only know of one that made a paq plugin, but it is neither supported or further developed afaik.

Unfortunately I am not a very good programmer and not at all an expert of file compression, otherwise I would like to help.

D.

• Nobody/Anonymous

When does "7-Zip" support the following formats: *.sqx, *.alz and *.ace?

• Nobody/Anonymous

IZArc works pretty well on zip and rar.  Main issues I have with it are the inability to extract  individual files from SFX archives and edit files  in an archive without extracting first (which WinZip and of course 7-Zip can do).  That's the major reason I have both IZArc and 7-Zip on all my computers.

One very useful format that almost nothing opens is InstallShield cab files.  Only ZipScan among commercial progs and i5comp/i6comp/WinPack along with XacRett free ones.

• Nobody/Anonymous

"YES. But it is a crap. I could even NOT extract a ZIP with it"

Maybe it is crap but what about PowerArchiver?

http://www.powerarchiver.com/features/

PowerArchiver supports more formats (inc 7z) than you could shake a stick at!!!

• Nobody/Anonymous

... and probably more than I can ever bother to use.

Really I do not understand this archiver-such-and-such-opens-more-formats-than-yours   war; I find it childish and a waste of time.

Ddot

• Nobody/Anonymous

"Really I do not understand this archiver-such-and-such-opens-more-formats-than-yours war; I find it childish and a waste of time."

Maybe you do, but that's just your opinion.

• Nobody/Anonymous

>> that's just your opinion.

Whose else could it be?

Ddot

<< < 1 2 3 4 .. 7 > >> (Page 2 of 7)