Menu

7-Zip 19.00

2019-02-22
2019-10-16
<< < 1 2 3 4 (Page 4 of 4)
  • Objectivité

Objectivité - 2019-07-15

Igor - you are still having the **wrong approach

I have written commercial software for 20 years - I know you have the wrong approach.

1. Re-read every post. The answers to the questions in your last email are ALL in those posts.

2. Assume there is a problem with your software, not with the end-user since your software is a simple Click-Next-Next-Install procedure. No configuration of Windows is required for your software to work, so assume yhour software is the problem regardless of the fact that you do not have a problem.

3. 18.05. This has been mentioned 1000 times. Start thinking about every single thing that changed from 18.05 to 18.06 : your code, compliler, libraries, add-ins, whatever.

When you write software which requires ZERO configuration of the host system, aslways always assume that YOU are in the wrong, not the end-user.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2019-07-15

Not enough confirmation for that problem.
      Note that I don't control all things in context menu.
      It's black box exploler with another DLLs from windows and third-party programs.
      Some rare case or random situation is possible there.
      So it's difficult to reproduce.

• Orin Dirt

Orin Dirt - 2019-07-19

I believe every possible scenario has been undertaken and explained by either myself and @Objectivite, and I will not be conducting any further tests. Please re-read our posts and you'll find your answers.

• Shell

Shell - 2019-07-15

Objectivité, I think that your criticism is not fully correct in this case. Microsoft's specifications have been violated for decades in the Windows world, and Windows itself is not an exception. There are numerous cases where certain applications cause others to malfunction. Just to provide an example: some Russian users still use customized Windows distributions (usually illegal) with severe compatibility issues. It is very probable the above-mentioned problem is triggered by a change in 7-zip.dll, and Igor should probably have a closer look on the changes. However, those changes may well be legitimate and the root of the problem may be in another place.

As a temporary solution to the problem in question, I suggest you to install 7-Zip 18.05 (which works fine) and then replace the executables (except 7-zip.dll, of course) with the newer versions extracted from 19.00's installer.

I also suggest Igor to compile a debug version (e.g. with the next release) with several MessageBox'es in the critical places of the code. This may turn to be useful for debugging the shell extension.

UPD: versions 18.05 and 18.06 differ only in several lines in ContextMenu.cpp, and at a first glance I suggest that there is no error there. It can be useful to test the following scenarios:
      1) change each 7-Zip's shell extension DLL ((a) 7-zip.dll, (b) 7-zip32.dll, (c) both) without reinstalling 7-Zip (this may require killing Explorer from Task Manager or logout-login);
      2) install 7-Zip 19.00 with those DLLs from 18.05 (again 3 variants);
      3) install 7-Zip 18.05 with shell extensions DLLs from 19.00 (again 3 variants);
      4) having 7-Zip 18.05 installed, replace its shell extension DLLs with newer versions as in step 1 (3 more variants).
      Once it is known which of those 12 variants cause problems, the debugging can be more productive. For 32-bit 7-Zip, only 4 variants remain.

Last edit: Shell 2019-07-15
      • Objectivité

Objectivité - 2019-07-16

Shell : You did not read me CAREFULLY.

I re-post what I said : Start thinking about every single thing that changed from 18.05 to 18.06 : your code, compliler, libraries, add-ins, whatever.

As a programmer I know that all of us programmers use languages that have bugs, compilers that have bugs, interpreters that have bugs, libraries that have bugs, add-ins that have bugs, even editors that bugs, etc, etc, and we write programs that have bugs to run on operating systems that have bugs.

Everything in Life is like that : nothing is perfect BUT the absolute last thing we can do is say : "My tools are perfect, it works for me, the problem must be with your setup !!!!!!", which is what Igor has been doing.

As I put in my post, it is Igor's 100% right not to want to provide support - the product is FREE. I get that. But if an attempt is made at providing support, then everything that has gone on up to now is the wrong approach. The 3 pages of posts on this points to a problem that started on Windows 10 after 18.05. This shows the problem is at home. Even looking at v19.0 code is the wrong approach. 18.06 is where it started - assuming Igor is following good habits of documenting everything that was changed as per my sentence at the top of this post, then that is where the search should start. That is just plain common sense. Anything else is the wrong approach.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2019-07-16

I have compiled debug version of 7-zip.dll.
          Please test it:
          https://www.7-zip.org/a/7zip_dll_debug_1.7z
          You must unpack 7-zip.dll, close Explorer and copy that 7-zip.dll to 7-Zip folder.
          Maybe you need to reboot your system before or after copying, so Explorer will use new version of 7-zip.dll.

Also you need debugview:
          https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview

Run debugview,
          Then run Explorer,
          And call different 7-zip commands from menu.
          Do they work?
          Please copy the log from debugview for me.
          Also you can create new forum thread topic for that thing.

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2019-07-16
  • Orin Dirt

Orin Dirt - 2019-07-19

Sorry mate, your suggestions come too late. My posts are date stamped.

I believe every possible scenario that an enduser can reasonably undertake, has been undertaken and explained by either myself and @Objectivite, and I will not be conducting any further tests. Please re-read our posts and you'll find your answers.

Last edit: Orin Dirt 2019-07-19
    • BillAnt

BillAnt - 2019-07-19

@Orin Dirt, @Objectivité < Look you do whatever you want, but if I were you, I'd run this simple test for which Igor has taken his time to compile a special debug version of 7Zip.DLL just for you.
      It only takes a minute to donwload the DebugView and the 7zip_dll_debug_1.7z, install the new DLL, restart pc, and simply run it to capture the log while trying to open some 7Zip menu items. This will likely tell him where the fault is in your particular windows install, and offer you a possible solution.
      Just a suggestions mate out of sheer courtesy and appreciation for his time. ;)

Last edit: BillAnt 2019-07-19
  • foxpat

foxpat - 2019-07-22

Igor's product is awesome but the whole thing is a single man band.
    I wish Igor could upload the codebase to i.e. Github and the comunity being able to send "Pull requests" and finally having more people contributing to Igor's effort.

I'm also waiting for a patch
    https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45798/thread/bf256795f7/
    but the new version is not released.

This post should not be considered a complain; it is just the wish of getting things done in a more efficient maner. Thanks.

• Hiroya Fukushima

Is there any network access action in programs of 7-Zip?
    It is a doubt about security.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2019-10-16

There is no internet activity in 7-Zip.
      You can open folders in local Network in 7-Zip File Manager.

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2019-10-16
    • BillAnt

BillAnt - 2019-10-16

LOL, there's only a link in the app to https://www.7-zip.org under Help > About. ;)
      Not even a function to check for updates.

Last edit: BillAnt 2019-10-16
<< < 1 2 3 4 (Page 4 of 4)