Menu

Running on Fedora 15 x86-64

2011-07-06
2018-12-03
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Barry Roberts

Barry Roberts - 2011-07-06

Just in case anyone else wants to do this, here's what I had to do to get PAC Manager 3 running.

sudo yum install perl-Gnome2* perl-Crypt-Blowfish perl-Net-ARP perl-Crypt-CBC perl-Gtk2*
    sudo yum remove uuid-perl
    sudo cpanm UUID
    sudo cpanm IO::Stty
    sudo yum localinstall libgnome2-vte-perl-0.09-2.x86_64.rpm
    svn co https://pacmanager.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pacmanager pacmanager
    cd pacmanager
    ./pac

Note that the fedora package uuid-perl would not work (for me, anyway).  I had to 'yum remove' it or I got:
    Undefined subroutine &UUID::generate called at /home/blr/Downloads/build/pacmanager/lib/PACMain.pm line 960

I also had to add these 2 lines to PACMain.pm in the BEGIN block:
    push( @INC, '/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Data' );
    push( @INC, '/usr/lib/perl5' );

I'm no perl programmer, so take this for what it costs you ;-)

So far I like pac.  I just wish there was a way to tile the ssh windows in a cluster.

• David Torrejón Vaquerizas

Man, you rule!!

Thank you very very much for your interest!!

- David.

• dangdang

dangdang - 2011-07-20

For me your steps  fail on sudo cpanm UUID. What am I missing?

• Barry Roberts

Barry Roberts - 2011-07-21

For me your steps  fail on sudo cpanm UUID. What am I missing?

With no more information than that I can't tell.  What error message do you get?

• dangdang

dangdang - 2011-07-21

The command fails when it tries to compile something. Here's the error.

UUID.xs:5:23: fatal error: uuid/uuid.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: ***  Error 1

• Barry Roberts

Sorry, no idea why that would happen.  I don't even know how to modify a cpan build, so I'm sure I didn't do anything to that.  Hopefully someone with more perl/cpan knowledge can help you.

• dangdang

dangdang - 2011-07-21

You also mentioned having to do:

sudo yum remove uuid-perl

Well on my install that was already removed. I figured maybe you installed something that you didnt mention in your post.

• Barry Roberts

I was able to reproduce this on a box at home.  The solution is:

sudo yum install libuuid-devel

Man, you rule!! ;)

Thanks for your support!!

- David.

• Pop

Pop - 2011-08-14

Hi …
    For those using different Linux versions who want to use PAC 3.x without having to modify PACMain code with
    push( @INC, '/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Data' ); push( @INC, '/usr/lib/perl5' ); pac can be started has follows:

RHEL 6.x:
    perl -I /usr/lib64/perl5/Data -I /usr/lib/perl5 /opt/pac/pac &

Fedora 15:
    perl -I /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Data -I /usr/lib/perl5 /opt/pac/pac &

If you want to start PAC automatically upon login, this code will start PAC according the Linux distro being used:

osdist=`lsb_release -is`
    if 
      then
        perl -I /usr/lib64/perl5/Data -I /usr/lib/perl5 /opt/pac/pac &
    fi
    if 
      then
        perl -I /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Data -I /usr/lib/perl5 /opt/pac/pac &
    fi
    if 
      then
        pac &
    fi

Best regards…

Nice job, man!

As you know, RedHat based distributions are not tested, so, you may find glitches like this. Sorry bout that :(

- David.

• Pop

Pop - 2011-08-18

No problem David … Thanks!

• Robinson Maureira Castillo

Hello,
    I'm trying to make pac work on Fedora 15, but I've found it's pretty cumbersome. Are you interested on some patches to make it more "universal" friendly? For example, ditching the UUID CPAN module in favor of uuid-perl, and making a proper spec file to deal with all pre-requisites?

Best regards, and thanks for the nice FE for multiple connections :-)

Hi!

First of all, thank you very much for your interest in PAC! :)

Man, it would be *great* if you helped me to build RPM packages correctly!! :) (I simply have no idea on how to do it; right now, I'm using 'alien' to build them… :(  )

Please, do whatever you may find necessary to "teach" me building good RPM packages.

Again, thank you very much!!
    - David.

Hi there, great!

I've made a patch to avoid using the UUID CPAN Module, instead I'm using OSSP::uuid which is part of the uuid-perl package.

But I have a quick question, on the dependency list is "remtty", but nowhere in the source code is referenced, is it used at all? Or it's just a leftover?

Best regards…

'remtty' is supposed to have the 'remote-tty' binary to make serial/tty/etc connnections, but of course, that has *never* been checked on rpm based distros… :( (at last, not checked by me!)

By the way, nice job man. Keep on like that!

- David

Oh! ok, I made a remtty rpm as well, now I'm dealing with the location of files and we are done with the spec creation.

In the mean time, here is the diff for replacing the UUID CPAN module.

http://soporte.solint.cl/~rmaureira/uuid-perl.patch

The OOSP::uuid module comes with the standard uuid-perl distribution package, I'm considering in add the patch just as part of the RPM build process, if you don't want to modify your source, the usage is pretty straightforward as you can see in the patch file.

Saludos ;-)

• Pop

Pop - 2011-08-29

Hi ….
    Can you please teach me how to apply the patch to the code ?
    BTW … your patch was built against which version of pac ?
    Thanks…

• Pop

Pop - 2011-08-29

BTW …
    What I've wrote on #10 is enough to start pac with no errors, but when I try (eg) to define a new session, I get an error stating that UUID.pm cannot be found … So I guess pacmain is calling some perl routine and the "-I" parameters  supplied in pac call, are not used in subsequent calls to other routines.

Is against the last version on the site (3.1.2), you can apply the patch inside the pac directory

patch -p1 < /route/to/the/patch

• Pop

Pop - 2011-08-29

Hi rmaureira !
    I've sucessfully patched pac code …. and pac is working now again :-)
    Is that easy to patch pac code in order to get pac calls to tigervnc client working ?
    Many thanks for your quick answer and support !

Sure, the process is as follows:

Make a copy of a clean pac folder
    Patch the source with any changes you want
    Make a diff file from a parent directory as follows:

diff -Nrua pac.orig pac.new > newfunction.patch

That way only the new files and differences go to the patch file.

Oh! BTW, it would be _very_ nice to have a version-named directory inside the tarball, for example pac-3.2.1 and not just pac, that way we can keep track of different versions and RPM building is WAY easier.

Hi there!!

One thing about TigerVNC: yes I know it's way better than standard VNC or even xtightvncviewer, *but*, there is *no standard* repository for a .DEB package (and with *standard*, I mean something like Getdeb.net or something as known as they are), so, I'm sorry to tell you that TigerVNC support will get into PAC's roadmap as soon as I get standard Debian/Ubuntu repositories… Sorry about that… :(

Anyway, count me in for anything you may need, for sure!! That's what I am here for (beyond my 7 yo child, of course!! ;)

- David.

• Pop

Pop - 2011-08-30

Hi David …
    I should say that I do not understand why the PAC support for TigerVNC has to depend of TigerVNC availability on deb "standard" repos.
    Have you included the patch built by rmaureira against 3.1.2 in your just pubished 3.1.3 version ?
    Thanks…

Hello again!

Ok ok… stay calm… ;)  I just release 3.1.3, but I just started working on 3.1.3.1, which is intended to solve the UUID dependency problem (rmaureira)

Regarding the TigerVNC support… well… mmm…mmmmmmm… ok ok ok ok … I'll do my best to get it working! (but I don't promise anything, since I have no rpm based distro, nor time to play with virtual machines). So, any help is highly appreciated! (*that* goes specially to you, 'rmaureira' !! ;)

- David.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)