Hi - I'm a volunteer at a small (3,500 item) non-profit library at a nature
center. Mostly books,. but a few videos and multimedia packages. Currently
we are running a very ugly DOS program that allows search by author, title
and subject and a few other simple options. I'm looking for new software
that meets the following criteria -
1. Simple, easy to install and use - has to be easy to understand for users
- also, the computers and network are rather slow (they just upgraded from
Windows98 last week!) I have an MLIS (but am not a professional librarian),
but it needs to be easy for anyone to enter new data (since I am only a
volunteer, anyone could be updating info). The software would be installed
on the network.
2. No checkout/circulation information needed. Book checkout is on the
honor system and they are not looking to upgrade that part - only members
can check out books, and they just write on a sheet of paper which ones they
take, and bring them back whenever they want. No barcoding.
3. Search by author, title and subject - with some authority control.
Doesn't have to be fancy or complicated.
4. Ideally, I'd like to import the data from an Excel spreadsheet.
I've done some looking, but it seems most software is more complicated than
we need, and I don't want to install something on the system that is not
going to meet their needs. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.