Menu

Install IPMIUtil in Windows7 X64 Machine.

Help
sriram
2013-12-02
2013-12-03
  • sriram

sriram - 2013-12-02

Please provide steps to run the precompiled binaries , or how to build the source of IPMIUtil in windows7 x64 Machine.

I went through the IPMIUtil Project Overview.

I downloaded the IPMIUtil2.9.2-win64.zip. I followed the Install and Build Instructions.

I installed the imbdrv130 driver mentioned in the project overview. When I tried to run the .cmd files present in the directory , it just freezes the cmd prompt.

Also I tried to build the source for IPMIUtil, so I downloaded ipmiutil-2.9.2.tar.gz. But there, I could not find the install and build instructions to be clear. The instructions mostly were given for Windows2000 , Windows Server 2003. Also the Visual Studio Path mentioned in the install file is for Visual Studio 2005. Since I am using Visual Studio 2010 , I found it very tough to identify the exact paths mentioned in the install instructions.

I would like to hear from some one, the complete steps how to setup the environment and make ipmiutil to work in Windows7. Also I would like to know how to use this utility in my project to obtain the FRU inventory data or any other data provided by the ipmiutil.

Last edit: sriram 2013-12-04
  • Andy Cress

Andy Cress - 2013-12-02

From what you are describing, I would guess that you were not running the install.cmd files in elevated/administrator mode, which is required for Windows 7 and Windows Vista during installation.

From UserGuide section 5.1:
    [...]
    Note that for Windows Vista/7 workstation and later, make sure to
    'Run as administrator' when installing. Windows Server should not
    require this step.
    [...]

This would also apply to the install for the imbdrv.

However, in reviewing the install.cmd, I see that it should be creating directories one at a time, so attached is an updated install.cmd to do that.

• sriram

sriram - 2013-12-03

Does IPMIUtil get data from systems that do not have BMC controller ?

I followed your comment. I ran the updated install.cmd and reinstalled the imbdrv , everything in administrator mode.

Still I am not able to fetch the data, and the cmd propmpt screen just freezes. Please help.

Last edit: sriram 2013-12-03
  • Andy Cress

Andy Cress - 2013-12-03

Are you saying that the software installed ok using install.cmd, but when you ran an ipmiutil command it froze? That's different than what I thought you meant.

If your system does not have a BMC controller, then there is no IPMI firmware for the driver to communicate with (locally). On most systems, the driver will return a timeout in that case, or the driver will return an error when loading.
    For the imbdrv, you can check the output of 'driverquery' to see if it is loaded.
    If so, check the Event Viewer under CP/AdminTools to see if an error was logged.