Menu

Map overview and new map scrolling features in Preview 1.9.3_01

2021-05-23
2021-06-08
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-06-07

We could consider implementing this as a new complemental feature, rather
    than a replacement. The original behaviour is pretty good to me.

Last edit: Dimitry Polivaev 2021-06-07
  • Dimitry Polivaev

the map overview is not visible on fullscreen.

You can switch this control on and off, and the full screen setting is separate from the windowed setting like for other controls

• Dimitry Polivaev

I don't see the usefulness of the little anchor emoji. It's unintuitive: the first time I saw it I tried to interact, but nothing happens (after, I learned it's meaning). Also, if you unsnap the MapOverview the anchor emoji just stays there, without any meaning.

Good point. @danix800 I would remove it completely, how do you see it?

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-06-07

When the overview is moved away from the corner the anchor could be used as indicator that it's still pinned to that corner, which means the overview window does not change its relative position to that corner.

But if it does cause visual distraction I'm OK without it.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Some things I noted in this first impression:

About zooming using the mouse wheel with the cursor over MapOverview: it starts behaving strangely once you move the purple rectangle inside the MapOverview (the focus spot). See the FP.mp4 attached. I start with the yellow node selected; move the focus spot; zoom out and it goes in a diagonal trajectory in direction of outside the map; zoom in and it starts a diagonal trajectory in the direction of selected node. In my opinion, it's a better behavior if the zoom has as a pivot the center of the focus spot itself. In yEd.mp4 attached you can see how it behaves in yEd. I think this makes more sense, because, once you move the focus spot to a certain area of the map, when you zoom in and out you are interested in the spot.

I am really upset to see any bug reports in forum threads.

Each bug report should be handled separately.
    Each bug must be reported as a separate bug ticket.
    Regarding to the observed behavior I can say that I can not reproduce it.
    But I do not like having any bug related discussions in the forums.
    So please create a bug report and let us continue the topic there.

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-06-07

I think the zooming and focusing is a feature, not a bug. The implementation might've chosen a different semantic of focusing, which is a map node, rather than the natural mouse point over the view. I think using node as focusing point is reasonable and better than natural mouse point.

There're some preference options which are related to the zooming and focusing behavior, like Preference -> Behaviour -> Zooming keeps selected node position or Preference -> Behaviour -> Zooming keeps selected node visible, which are worth trying, @eu

As for the overview implementation, the zooming is just redirected to the underlying map view, so the behaviour would be the same when zooming.

Last edit: Ding Fei 2021-06-07
      • Dimitry Polivaev

@danix800 You explained me what happens.
        If both options are deactivated we observe behavior reported by eu because in this case the zooming keeps position of the mouse cursor related to the map view.
        But if the cursor is placed over the overview pane I think it makes no sense. Try it yourself.
        So I think we need to fix it as suggested by eu.

• Dimitry Polivaev

It would be very easy to keep the current center of the viewable area because calculating of this point is trivial, but I think that zooming around the cursor at the overview pane would be nicer.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-06-07

I seems the 9 handles on the overview map should appear only if the
            overview map is clicked. If it is the map that is clicked then the
            handles should disapear. Usually it is like this in other apps it
            seems. Like in drawing apps like open office draw objects etc.

On 07/06/2021, Dimitry Polivaev dpolivaev@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

It would be very easy to keep the current center of the viewable area
            because calculating of this point is trivial, but I think that zooming
            around the cursor at the overview pane would be nicer.

Map overview and new map scrolling features in Preview
            1.9.3_01

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
            https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
            https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-06-07

There's a PR for this but I did it purely for exercising and it's not a big improvement so don't expect it to be accepted.

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-06-07

Confirmed, there's a PR 217 for fixing this. Nice catch and thanks for reporting this.

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2021-06-07

Dimitry:
            The panning with the menu options Scroll-Left, Scroll-Right, Scroll-Up
            and Scroll-Down, once assigned the proper keyboard shortcuts, is perfect.
            I'm so glad you had a moment to implement that.
            Thank you so much. :-)

• euu

euu - 2021-06-07

You can switch this control on and off, and the full screen setting is separate from the windowed setting like for other controls

Now, I see it can be activated in the rightclick menu.

which means the overview window does not change its relative position to that corner

Now, I see. This is only relevant when the person is resizing the FP window, right? But, isn't it visually intuitive to know the corner (that is the reference) once the user starts resizing the window?

@danix800 You explained me what happens.

This means you now understand what I said, or I still need to clarify? I'm not talking about the good old zoom in the main view.

I am really upset to see any bug reports in forum threads.

I did not see this as a bug, but as an option of behavior.

There're some preference options which are related to the zooming and focusing behavior

Thanks for pointing that out. I got really happy when Dimitry implemented it.

zooming around the cursor at the overview pane would be nicer

+1 on that.

• euu

euu - 2021-06-07

I just noticed something "curious". Steps to reproduce:
    -you are editing the node contents inline
    -use the mouse wheel over the overview to change the zoom
    -the node content size will stay frozen (although you can still edit it normally) and everything else will change its size

Probably unintended, but I don't know if it qualifies as a bug. Some people can find it useful, because you can quickly change the scale of the map while keeping the node being edited on the desired size. I don't know if it already existed a way to do it before. See FP2.mp4 attached.

• euu

euu - 2021-06-07

Just tested 1.9.4-pre02 here. It's a big improvement. The zoom steps are perfect for me. The zoom to the cursor is excellent (way better than the yEd way). It's almost awesome... but it is a little buggy in some situations. I will report that in a ticket.

• Edo Frohlich

Edo Frohlich - 2021-06-07

Dear Dimitry, dear Ding Fei,
    I'm currently using 1.9.4-pre01 and I didn't realize before that I needed "Map Overview" so badly!! Now that I have use it, I can't live without it.
    It's a great feature and it allowes me to retain mentally a global view of the map while working in specific branches.

Thanks again!
    edo

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-06-08

Thanks for the resizing of the map.
    Is it possible that each overview map keep their own size. I noticed that resizing one will resize it in all views/maps. It seems that resizing one overview map should not resize the others as all maps have different heights and sizes so the overview map should not be the same size on each (it seems).
    Also it could be useful maybe to save the size (width, height) of all overview maps when quitting freeplane and then opening it again will set them to the previous size.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Thanks for your ideas.
      I am afraid it would make the logic over complicated.
      As always I am inviting you to share some screen shots to prove your request.

<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)