Center the current node

Rigel
2008-04-10
2013-04-12
  • Rigel

Rigel - 2008-04-10

I'd like something very simple added.

I want a method that will

Place the node I'm on in the center of the screen.

This method works the same as pressing escape, to put the root node in the center of the scren.

This isn't an on/off option.

This is a right click accessible method

This is a short cut key accessible method

Rigel

• Rigel

Rigel - 2008-04-26

After re-reading my suggestion, I think that auto-node centering could also work well as an on/off feature. Perhaps it would be even better that way.

• Andy Fielding

Andy Fielding - 2008-08-08

That would be a great feature. It goes right along with the mind-mapping concept, to let you focus on expanding any particular idea.

• Benno Dielmann

Benno Dielmann - 2008-08-08

I just finished adding these features to my fullscreen-mode patch(es):

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2029458&group_id=7118&atid=307118

It adds a "Center selected node" entry to the Navigate menu together with a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+C, changeable at the usual place in preferences).

There is also a toggle option to switch "Always center selected node" on and off, located in the View menu (probably not the best place...).

I've already written a more detailed explanation on how to apply my patch here:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=5131000&abmode=1

Unfortunately, I recieved no reaction of the freemind developers to my submissions whatsoever until now. Very probably these changes won't get integrated into the next release (because the code is in feature freeze), maybe after the big release (if ever...).

Any suggestions, feedback, ... are very welcome.

Have fun,

Bendie.

• Rafal Machalica

Rafal Machalica - 2008-09-06

One more useful feature would be keep selected node centered while un-applying filter. When I have filter on, sometimes I want to quickly see wider context of the topic, so I turn the filter off and my mindmap view jumps to some random point. Then I have to find again the node I was working on, which distracts my attention.

• R Grace

R Grace - 2008-09-29

This feature would be very useful if used as part of the zoom / unzoom.  Currently, in 0.9.0 Beta 20, the map keeps the currently-focused node on-screen, but it often moves to the upper-left corner, whereas it would be better/more intuitive to keep it centered on the screen during the zoom.

Interesting question - now what if multiple nodes were selected?  Center on the middle of the bounding box containing all of them?

• Sue Schecter

Sue Schecter - 2017-09-18

I can see this might be useful in certain instances - but How Do I Turn It OFF?!? If I even hover briefly over a node, it jumps making it impossible to select quickly the node I actually want because FP is so busy trying to be helpful and jumping everything the mouse touches to the center of the screen. I'm totally frustrated. alt C doesn't turn it off Control C doesn't turn it off , neither does ctrl alt C mentioned above.

HELP!

• Sue Schecter

Sue Schecter - 2017-09-18

Never mind - apparently there's a View menu command "View > Settings > Center selected node automatically." that toggels on and off.
    I'd say it needs some fine tuning before I'll want it on. way to sensitive. just passing mouse over "unwanted" nodes moves them - so the whole damn map was jumping like popping pop corn. much better now that it only moves when I move it.