Menu

Why does ai build colonies which overlaps each other?

2016-03-02
2016-03-03
  • Henrik Norrström

I always try to not overlap my colony squares to maximise late game colonies output and to benefit industrialisation.
    However the ai almost always overlap colonies and build them in a very close pattern, so they could only use perhapes 4-5 squares each. Also the ai build inland colonies quite often or colonies which consist of a lot of desert, swamps, or arctic or other low yield land. The result is a whole lot of small almost useless colonies instead of some big production centers. If i conquer ai colonies i have to abandon half of them at least to make the others being able to grow. Also the indians have a easy time raiding this colonies.
    I remember it was the same problem in the original game but not at all this bad, I think there was some walues that was assigned to every landtype and some system for the ai to calculate good places for founding a colony there that was easy to change making ai behave more like myself but i could be wrong that was a lot of years ago...
    So why this behavior of the game? Is it something others like or just to keep it close to the original? Does people build overlaping colonies themselfes? Is it possible to tweek this myself something?

The rest of the game seems to work really good nowaday. Great job guys!

• Mike Pope

Mike Pope - 2016-03-02

So why this behavior of the game?

There have been several tries to improve colony site selection. Indications is that it is a harder problem than anyone who tries to do it suspects. Clearly we have room for improvement, but do not underestimate the difficulty. That said, the code is in Player.getAllColonyValues, patches welcome.

• Henrik Norrström

Thanks for the answer Mike, I do belive it's very hard to manage ai, also there is the question about how you want the ai to behave.
    I have very limited programing skills but i will at least look at the code.