Map pack by Euzimar

FreeCol
Mazim E.A
2018-03-18
2023-09-30
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Blake

Blake - 2020-05-29

Thanks Mike. Am finalising the map list tonight and will submit tomorrow and post results here.

• Misiulo

Misiulo - 2020-05-04

How about an option to rename the AI factions? First step towards customized scenarios?

• Blake

Blake - 2020-05-30

Okay guys it's finally done.. again lol!

I've gone through the big list of 40 extra awesome maps made by Mazim @mazimmazim previous posted on page 2 again and while I would have liked more feedback from people here I still got some from the person I wanted it from the most (Mike @mpope ) so I've pushed ahead with chopping off maps not appropriate for being included in the main game download (eg Europe and GTA maps). I've also culled some other ones I was undecided on or that I felt were duplicates of maps already included. If anyone wishes to protest the removal of a particular map then post in this thread and we can all review each of them on a case by case basis but for now I really gotta push ahead with this so this is the final list for now:

L_America_JsTheDude
    L_America_Mazim
    L_Asia_Mazim
    L_PacificSouth_Mazim
    L_TheOldWorld_Mazim
    M_Africa_Gilolat
    M_Africa_Mazim
    M_America_Mazim
    M_AustraliaOceania_Mazim
    M_Caribbean_Piotrus
    M_CaribbeanIslands_Mazim
    M_Eurasia_Mazim
    M_NorthAmerica_Mazim
    M_NorthAmerica2_Mazim
    M_SouthAmerica_Mazim
    S_Arabias_Mazim
    S_AustraliaOceania_Gilolat
    S_Caribbean_Phil
    S_FeudalJapan_Mazim
    S_SouthEastAsia_Mazim
    S_USA_Mazim
    XL_GigaEarth_Mazim
    XXL_HugeWorld_Mazim

Those with a keen eye will notice that some sizes have changed in some of the original ones I was submitting in previous posts here. Marcin @berduchwal and I had settled on a increment of 3500 square tiles system however all these extra maps had such crazy huge sizes that it threw the old system out the window! So I had to come up with another new one that still properly separated the smaller and medium maps but also better separated the large to huge maps.

Since we're measuring by total square tiles which is 2 values multiplied (width x height) it seemed to make sense to have the increments multiply themselves too. So each class is double the size of the previous class (although admittedly I do skip one class/doubling in the lower levels otherwise we'd need something like 'super small' lol). This resulted in size classes that didn't have a negative impact on our existing smaller maps (I barely had to change any of the existing agreed sizes) but better classified the new bigger ones. And yes I've had to make a new super class for one of the maps as XL wasn't enough haha! Here's the new system:

0 to 4000sqt (square tiles) = S (Small)
    4001 to 12000sqt = M (Medium)
    12001 to 24000sqt = L (Large)
    24001 to 48000sqt = XL (Extra large)
    Over 48001sqt = XXL (Huge)

As Marcin previously suggested it would be good to have these size classes written in an empty unused area of the map loading window so I'll put in a non-priority feature request for that soon.

As previously discussed Mike helped me use some tricks to make the map titles display nicer and use multiple lines.. feels really good scrolling through them all seeing all these different possibility for fun Col games! :)

I'll be submitting to Github in a new pull request shortly and then it'll be in Mike's hands to stick it in the next Github release for you all to enjoy! EDIT: Pull request is done and can be found here: https://github.com/FreeCol/freecol/pull/65

If you can't wait for that then I'll attach the map files and map config script file in a zip file to this post! Move your old maps out of the way (or they'll cause issues) and extract this zip's contents into your FreeCol\data folder.

Last edit: Blake 2020-05-31
    • Mazim E.A

Mazim E.A - 2020-06-01

Blake, I see your effort but Freecol doesnt need this quantity of maps. These maps from my old map pack are not good enough. That time was my learning time, most of my maps from that map pack are so ugly. The only maps that I would like to see in freecol are my most recent maps (the newers like America v2, Old world, Australia, Africa, North and South America by Mazim). These 6 newers are more well made and I feel more confortable to see in future release. So forget about the old map pack.

• Blake

Blake - 2020-06-05

lol where was this comment weeks ago when I'd finished the original submission with just your new maps and Marcin suggested your other maps lol. Now I've invested heaps of time cancelling the previous submission, grabbing all your other maps and 1 by 1 analyzing, converting, renaming, and pushing into github. When I ask for opinions on which maps to include weeks and weeks ago in this thread and get next to nothing from people and then get told after I'm done that I've made a mistake or wasted my time that is not cool.

I removed any that were earlier versions of ones you've updated however there's quite a few maps in that first pack that while you haven't made new versions they are still really cool, unique, interesting and fun to play. And quite frankly I think they're way better than some of the existing maps made by others that we release with the game (cough! Gilolat Australia cough!). I've also removed many other maps from your original 40 that were inappropriate or unfinished looking so these remaining ones are really good and add a huge amount of much needed variety. So hey if you hate any of the included ones and wanna update them then go for it and I'll replace them in future releases! :)

Last edit: Blake 2020-06-05
        • Mazim E.A

Mazim E.A - 2023-01-06

My apology for my mistakes. That time I was a lttle stressed. That time when you were uploading and converting the maps I forgot to check the forum. Thanks for the help with maps. have a nice day :)

• Mazim E.A

Mazim E.A - 2023-01-06

Hello. I have worked to make a better map to replace that old and ugly Asia map, That old asia map was one of my first maps and it is not suited to be in freecol, as it has wrong coastline and weird climates.

This map that I am uploading now is more acurate (not 100%, as freecol has a square grid). This new map is inspired in Koppen Geiger climate map. Examples: Grasslands and Temperate forests appear in the zone of humid subtropical climate (south China and northern India), As freecol doesnt have all the climates of Koppen Geiger map, I used prairies to represent warm continental climate or low precipitation temperate plains or semi-arid but arable land. When you play, you will notice that some places inside the equatorial range have temperate tiles, it has some reasons, The player always need to have diversified economy, If all that region has rainforests, the player will saturate his market with one of maybe two products and prices will go down very quickly. And more, some of these regions have high elevation and it can have theoreticaly cool climates.

The map has some randomness, because people find boring to see only one tile type in vast regions. The map can be more historical acurate if you guys play with some of the nations that I have made and post in the forum (a modpack of nations for the old world map).

So, my sincere thanks for the support and all.

❤️

Last edit: Mazim E.A 2023-01-06
  • Mazim E.A

Mazim E.A - 2023-09-30

Hi. For the people who wants to play in europe's map and finds very weird to see aztecs, incas, etc... .I have a small solution, I made european natives mod to that map. I added Celtics and Germanic peoples, The settlements names are from pre-romans tribes. Have fun

Last edit: Mazim E.A 2023-09-30
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)