Menu

Problems testing EAPO over voicemeeter.

Giorgio
2017-08-19
2022-09-07
  • Giorgio

Giorgio - 2017-08-19

Coming from EAPO 1.1.2 I've first uninstalled EAPO, then installed voicemeeter it works flawlessly on 7.1 channels on output A1 over HDMI with voicemeeter as default audio device.
    Closed voicemeeter, I have installed EAPO 1.2 (64 bit) setting as default audio device DENON AV AMP and it works OK.
    At this point starting voicemeeter as default device for EAPO with the configurator (rebooting the PC) I get a lot of distortion, also if EAPO is working (the volume test shows that). May I have some help about? Many thanks!
    Giorgio Z.

• Juha

Juha - 2017-08-19

Setting I/O buffers large enough might help. On Voicemeeter, check/change the buffer sizes for selected device. MME device is the worst one and needs buffers set quite large (=latency). If possible, do same for playback buffer in your media player(s).

• Giorgio

Giorgio - 2017-08-19

Many thanks, but there is no improvement. I'm using WDM device, for music AIMP, for audio video files MPC-HC. Trying MME no difference Increasing the buffers of voicemeeter to maximum the result is still inaceptable. For the players there is no buffer to tweak. I think something wrong in the voicemeeter virtual input.

• Juha

Juha - 2017-08-19

How 'bout samplerate settings?

• Giorgio

Giorgio - 2017-08-19

44.1/48 kHz

• Juha

Juha - 2017-08-19

Best would be if settings are same at all points where it can be set. Otherwise there's realtime SRC to be done and that may lead to distortion as well.

• Jonas Thedering

Jonas Thedering - 2017-08-19

While I was developing the Equalizer APO Voicemeeter client I also sometimes experienced heavy distortion. When I then stopped the VoicemeeterClient.exe, restarted Voicemeeter and started VoicemeeterClient.exe again, the problem went away. I was trying to find the issue but after I did some further changes, I was unable to reproduce the problem (before it also only happened randomly, not always). So I hoped that it was fixed somehow, but maybe it can still happen.

Which version of Voicemeeter are you using? Another user reported (partial) improvements when using the current version 2.0.3.4.

• Juha

Juha - 2017-08-19

I think it's a quite common sync issue in question. Especially if SRC involved. Usually it can be handled by finding correct buffer sizes.

In my case I had to occasionally restart Banana and client to get rid of distortion. After increasing the Banana I/O buffers, distortion isn't a trouble anymore. Mostly I'm using WDM mode with onboard sound.

• Giorgio

Giorgio - 2017-08-20

My version is Voicemeeter 1.0.5.4. I have reinstalled EAPO and everything now works fine. I don't understand why. Switching off and on the system I had only one time the distortion, but closing EAPO in the configurator, restarting Voicemeeter and EAPO in the configurator after a reboot the problem disappeared. My sole AV source is a HTPC that reads stereo music as FLAC or APE files and AV as MKV fles, sending video and LPCM audio to a DENON AV preamplifier over HDMI. I'm using always 7.1 channels because using the "Copy:" command I redirect there the frequencies below 100 Hz of front, center and side channels to the rear channels that become the channels of bass. The LFE channel is sent to a subwoofer. Using REW and EAPO I make the DRC and the linearization of the frequency response of the various channes and the command "GraphicEQ:" makes the target curve for the complete system. For all that EAPO is enough.
    Now there is only to use the Voicemeeter to make something more, I don't know what for the moment...

• Erik Van Hamme

Erik Van Hamme - 2017-09-22

I have the same distortion issues. Tried all possible buffer sizes and different sample rates. Nothing helps.

I ran into the same issues when I developed my own client for the voicemeeter remote API.

I am not using the banana version. Using focusrite scarlett 18i20 2nd gen via ASIO.

• Jonas Thedering

Jonas Thedering - 2017-09-24

So you also developed a Voicemeeter client and encountered the same problem? When I was developing the E-APO Voicemeeter client, after the distortion appeared, I stopped the E-APO Voicemeeter client and started one of the examples coming with the Voicemeeter Remote API and the problem also occured. Therefore I think that there is a problem inside Voicemeeter that is triggered by the client somehow. If it was only reproducable reliably on different PCs, we could send a bug report to the author of Voicemeeter.

• Erik Van Hamme

Erik Van Hamme - 2017-09-24

I see the problem most if I do not have a lot to do in the plugin. My EqAPO reported latency is also at 0.0ms. CPU load is 2%.

I would like to do some tests with some heavier workload in EqAPO. I am trying to figure out how the convolution plugin works to stress the system a bit more. My current filter chains all use the biquads, and do not stress the system at all.

• Juha

Juha - 2017-09-24

IIRC, you should be able to get the distortion present by just changing the buffer size or device mode (maybe when changing samplerate as well) through Voicemeeter CP ... . This distortion is not related to filters in use (happens w/o filters as well) ... I suppose it's a synchronization issue what happens there.

• Erik Van Hamme

Erik Van Hamme - 2017-09-24

No, it's really not because the distortion goes away when I kill the voicemeeterclient.exe process. I have all my buffers at maximum because latency doesn't matter for my application. My PC has 2% CPU load. Everything is perfect until I link in the voicemeeter plugin.

If I kill both voicemeeter and eqapo and restart both, I can (sometimes) get to a working status. 80% of the times I have issues. It seems I have less issues if I have a heavier filter load in eqapo. I can't prove this however.

There is a bug or race condition in voicemeeter somewhere. Problem is I have no hope of debugging voicemeeter without sourcecode.

• Erik Van Hamme

Erik Van Hamme - 2017-09-23

It's the same on my other computer. 24bit 96kHz configuration. I posted on VB-Audio's forum.

• Vincent Burel

Vincent Burel - 2017-10-03

The problem is maybe more located in Voicemeeter configuration: especially the device / interface selected as output A1. This main stream must be stable before connecting any process to Voicemeeter. Did you fix this?

• herve

herve - 2019-01-26

I use EqAPO for years now and I really appreciate it.
    I test VoiceMeeter from time to times.
    I have a problem that looks like yours : After reboot, when EqAPO is installed on VoiceMeeter output A1, sound is distorted like when I use buffer too small.

VoiceMeeter banana version : 2.0.4.4
    EqAPO version 1.2
    Windows 10 64 bits version 1809 (17763.292)

VoiceMeeter configuration (largest possible buffers) :
    - voicemeeter VAIO 44100 / 7168,
    - Output A1 : ASIO 44.1kHz / buffer 1024 (cmasiopPCIX - driver asio for Asus Xonar DX)

My workaround is :
    - with configurator, uninstall APO from voicemeeter => the sound is now clear, without crakles.
    - Empty the file config.txt
    - with configurator, install APO to voicemeeter => the sound remains clear, without crakles
    - Restore my file config.txt => the sound remains clear, without crakles and my EqAPO filters are applied.

• gvkt

gvkt - 2019-07-04

I can reproduce the problem reliably. How can I help to get it fixed at Voicemeeter?

So far, here are my observations:

The problem is with VoiceMeeter it would seem which is tickled by EAPO as a client.

I have eliminated any dependence on downstream (of Voicemeeter) by trying with multiple output devices and drivers - Nvidia, RealTek, HDMI, S/PDIF, etc. Also, there is no bottleneck in the underlying hardware. It is an i7 cpu with 32GB of memory with almost nothing running in the foreground and in performance setting. Running in 64 bit mode.

The problem can be reliably reproduced on my system by
    1. Enable EAPO for Voicemeeter A1 with no filters or just a preamp gain filter to check that EAPO is in the chain.
    2. Either change the device output on Voicemeeter which immediately causes distortion OR just wait for about 10-15 min with audio going through after step 1 above. In the latter case, I notice that the problem gets progressively worse. Initially, there are a few crackles spaced out but soon the audio gets increasingly distorted within 30 seconds.

Changing the buffer size or sample rate and repeating the above has no effect.

Once the distortion has started, unchecking VoiceMeeter in EAPO configurator works only in the case where it was after a reboot and it started with the distortion or the distortion was induced by a change in Voicemeeter settings. In the second case above of progressive deterioration, checking off EAPO has no effect on the continuing distortion. In other words, Voicemeeter is stuck in some state causing distortion even without EAPO involved. I can go to Voicemeeter and changing an output device there will clear the distortion.

In other words, the client sends Voicemeeter into this state and only some change that resets something in Voicemeeter can clear it. Even restarting Voicemeeter does not necessarily clear the distortion which implies that it is not just some dynamic state (like buffers getting filled up) that is causing it but some state that is made persistent and restored.

I tried getting a login at VB Audio but it has not been approved for days now.

If there are any logs I can look at to get more information/understanding I can pass on to anyone that can help, do let me know.

It would be a shame if this is not fixed somehow.

• Shane

Shane - 2021-07-29

Is this problem still not fixed? Or has anyone found a more than temporary solution?