Menu

Downmix 5.1 to 4.0 and "frequency redirection"

Alessandro
2016-04-07
2020-06-17
  • Alessandro

Alessandro - 2016-04-07

Hi All,

First of all thanks to the developer for this great and straight forward software!

I have a question related to downmix process. I'm actually having a 4.0 speaker system, where the two front channels "include" a subwoofer (i.e. Focal Little Bird 2.1 Pack where 2.1 is not properly correct...). On such basis, to downmix a 5.1 audio to my 4.0 setup, I guess it is necessary to equally split both C and SUB channels on the L and R ones (LR and RR would remain untouched). Can you please indicate me which of these two equation sets is correct?

L = L + 0.5*C + 0.5*SUB
    R = R + 0.5*C + 0.5*SUB

or

L = L + 0.7071*C + 0.7071*SUB
    R = R + 0.7071*C + 0.7071*SUB

where the number 0.7071 derives from the conversion in linear of -3dB (that is "half" channel power).

Another question: would it be possible to redirect just some frequencies over the the front channels? For example, if my rear speakers frequency responses begin at 120 Hz, how can I redirect lower frequencies (< 120 Hz) over the front ones that include the subwoofer?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edit: Alessandro 2016-04-07
  • Jonas Thedering

Jonas Thedering - 2016-04-09

The first equation set seems to be correct for me as for amplitudes -6 dB is about the half. But hopefully someone else can explain it better.

To redirect the lower frequencies of channels, you need to use virtual channels:

Copy: VL=RL VR=RR
    Channel: VL VR
    Filter: ON LP Fc 120 Hz
    Copy: L=L+VL R=R+VR

You might also want to high pass filter the channels RL and RR at 120 Hz to make sure that the sum of the frequency responses does not have a peak around the crossover frequency

• Alessandro

Alessandro - 2016-04-11

Thanks Jonas for your answer.

I took a look around and found this discussion that I think can be useful to understand the first point reported in my initial post. So it seems that the correct factor to split C over L and R is 0.7071.

Having said that, I saw that Equalizer APO can also manage equations using directly the dB format in the coefficients. From such perspective, do the following equations:

Copy L=L+0.7071*C
    Copy L=L+-3dB*C

produce the same result? How are they managed (and which are the differences) inside Equalizer APO?

Have a nice day!

Last edit: Alessandro 2016-04-11
  • Jonas Thedering

Jonas Thedering - 2016-04-11

Thank you for sharing that link, it is interesting that acoustics work a bit different.

The dB variant is converted to linear during initialization, so during the actual processing there is no difference (apart from the rounding in 0.7071):

if (s.isDecibel)
        is.factor = (float)pow(10.0, s.factor / 20.0);
    else
        is.factor = (float)s.factor;

• Alessandro

Alessandro - 2016-04-11

Great! Everything is now clear!

Thanks a lot Jonas for your great work!

• Alan Cristopher Manzoni

Can anyone help me, im trying to make the same thing on my system, but as a begginer there are somethings I don't understand.
    The way i see i shoul just paste

L = L + 0.7071C + 0.7071SUB
    R = R + 0.7071C + 0.7071SUB

On the config.txt APO created for my speaker, is that correct?

• Alan Cristopher Manzoni

Can anyone help me, im trying to make the same thing on my system, but as a begginer there are somethings I don't understand.
    The way i see i shoul just paste

L = L + 0.7071C + 0.7071SUB
    R = R + 0.7071C + 0.7071SUB

On the config.txt APO created for my speaker, is that correct?

• Bryan Chow

Bryan Chow - 2020-06-17

That will place half of center into L, half into R, and same for the sub. (FYI the * is not showing correctly but turning the text between them into italics.)

You should probably add a "Preamp: -6dB" at the beginning to provide more headroom since you are adding to channels, to prevent clipping.

It's helpful to have the Equalizer APO log file open (it's at C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\EqualizerAPO.log on Windows 10) when writing custom config.txt files so you can catch any errors.