Menu

Lords of Magic SE Windows 10

2019-06-12
2020-11-15
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Nick

Nick - 2020-11-15

Wine don't try to emulate anything for it's not an emulator. You can choose Windows version but it's not required for this game. On Arch Linux it's:
    1. Open Software Center and install Wine.
    2. Double click on the install.exe and install the game.
    3. Double click and play the game.
    That's it.
    The videos are also working.
    Windows? Never again!

• White

White - 2020-11-15

"not required for this game"

But you still might have a lot trouble + customization with some games, facing they are developed with Windows in mind. For what @dippy dipper mentioned, I also think that Linux isn't so obvious to set up, especially for the lazy.
      I can't say I'm anti-Windows in general but about Win10 it's definitely a no-go, hence my spontaneous comment there.

• Nick

Nick - 2020-11-15

Because you are used to Windows. It's obvious enough if you are using Linux. Simple.

• White

White - 2020-11-15

Yes, I am used to Windows. Over past 20 years, it can't be a surprise. Consider this, if the people who work on Linux+expansions over the years did have the "monopoly" (or comparable market), would they end up today with a far better or more compatible development platform? Would be a bold claim, at it's best I don't think Microsoft was doing outright terrible.

• Nick

Nick - 2020-11-15

I have been using Linux for 15 years. It's far better and convenient than Windows. I migrated the whole office at work. Everyone is happy and nobody looked back. Actually they begun to bring me their home machines to install Linux on them. Windows is a crap but you can't understand it if you are not using something different.
            And don't forget the heavy customization that Linux offers. Look at may desktop:
            https://www.youtube.com/c/NikolayStefanovkaminatadotnet/videos
            By the way this is a VERY little part of the Windows games I played on Linux. They are literally thousands. And don't forget there are thousands of native games too.

Last edit: Nick 2020-11-15
            • White

White - 2020-11-15

Looks inviting. I do have Linux in mind when I have the commitment for it one day. It seems the most reasonable OS for the future, unless Microsoft pulls out some real joker yet. Somehow I doubt it.

👍
              • Nick

Nick - 2020-11-15

It will be one of the best decisions in your life :) There are times when I used to Windows too. The XP era exactly. And in the begining of my journey it was hard for it's a different OS. Now, when I have the knowledge, I can compare them and Linux wins in every single way. Just don't give up in the begining, that's all. And keep in mind now is far easier to migrate to Linux. It goes a long way, and the things are changed a lot :)

• dippy dipper

dippy dipper - 2020-11-15

It's always nice when a Windows game runs that easily on Linux/Wine but it is an exception not a rule.

When you mimic/reverse engineer the behaviour of Windows API's on a different operating system you are emulating. No matter what the developers say in order to avoid the lawyers. ;-)

I think the idea behind "Wine is not an emulator" is not only to try to avoid the fact that it is a "Windows Emulator" for copyright reasons but also to make a clear distinction between traditional emulators that emulate the behaviour of an entire computer with it's hardware.

You have at least three layers of emulators:
    1. API emulation and wrapping (e.g. Wine)
    2. Virtualization which does not emulate the entire hardware (e.g. VirtualBox)
    3. Full hardware emulation (e.g. PCem)

As for preferring Linux over Windows I can relate to that entirely. I do keep using Windows since it is the most common operating system for Desktop PC's. But Linux kernel based operating systems rule in every other platform nowadays and Linux has a vast library of very good open source programs available. It's interesting to see where Microsoft ends up with Windows 10 in the future.

Last edit: dippy dipper 2020-11-15
    • Nick

Nick - 2020-11-15

No it's not an exception. Most of the games nowadays are running oob. Hell, I even play Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding. There are a lot of Windows games that are running better on Linux and that's ridiculous. It's a matter of honour to not using Windows.

Last edit: Nick 2020-11-15
  • Dave Assinder

Dave Assinder - 2020-11-15

I forgot all about this! How things have changed in 18 months! I didnt bother playing much following the time I got it working. It just wasn't as enjoyable as I remembered it being. All these posts have triggered an influx of emails so I was quite confused initially haha.

• White

White - 2020-11-15

Then by the way Sourceforge seems quite persistent in sending thread notifications. The best bet is to specifically disable subscriptions on account settings:
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/preferences/
      Checking the boxes on particular forum options sometimes may not work.

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)