Menu

Max clip board size, not working?

Help
Stormy
2017-02-19
2017-02-19
  • Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-19

Maybe I'm not understanding things right, but setup ditto/3.21.134 on 3 Win7/Pcs, however, each time pressing ctrl-X on file explorer on 1 PC, an attempt is made by ditto to cp the files to all 2 remote nodes, not the file NAME, but the file CONTENTs, now these files are huge. Searching the forum, found the option (Maximum Clip size in Bytes) to limit copy/paste size, and set it to :1048576 , restarted Ditto on all 3 PCs, but still same thing, ctrl-X on a large file (10MB), attempts to copy to both other PCs..

I do not want to limit by "application" or by "extention", this should be by SIZE.. not much use to copy a 1GB file into clipboard :) :) Well, maybe there is, but not for normally :)

Any ideas?

• Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-20

come to think of it, probably better if there's a way to completely disable any file copy-sending. Is there a way to just transfer TEXT that is copied and not FILES?

Thanks.

• Maloney

Maloney - 2017-02-26

The actual file contents are not sent until the clip is pasted on the remote computer. At that time it will be requested from the original computer.

What makes you think the file contents are being sent?

scott

• Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-26

well :) every single time I hit ctrl-C or ctrl-X to copy/cut on PC1 , then other PCs immediately start to PULL the entire file. I'm dealing with large AVI files, each 2-4GB in size.. so it is very obvious. Also, trying to paste the file in a different folder on the original PC1, fails, with a message "ditto" is locking the file, then going to the destination windows and clicking CANCEL on the ditto popup that copies the file, releases that lock, then u can paste the file into a diff folder on the original PC1.

Again, in all this work, my expectation is to only work on PC1, but other PCs are dragged into it by the fact that ditto starts copying entire files over, be it small or huge.. I setup FRIENDS in each ditto with a checkmark "Send all copies to this friend", otherwise I think the basic copy/paste does not work?

here are two screenshots, from PC1, and from target PC before doing the cancel, b/c that's clearly not needed (to copy 1.3GB file into clipboard)

• Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-26

second shoot.

• Maloney

Maloney - 2017-02-27

I'm seeing the same, don't understand why that is happening. The latest beta should prevent this. http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/beta/

• Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-27

Updated to 3.21.136, and this issue is RESOLVED!! thanks much!!

Stormy.

• Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-27

Actully, seems that with 3 PCs, and copy/large file from PC1, then pasting into a URL field of browser on PC2, the entire file is attempting to get pulled from PC3....

Is there any way to completely disable all file copy/paste, just work on TEXT copy/paste?

Thanks.

• Maloney

Maloney - 2017-02-28

Remove CF_HDROP from your supported types in options - supported types. This will cause Ditto to not save and send around copied files and not request files. If you need copied files locally I can add an option to never request files.

I'm still confused as to why it's being reqested, it's not supposed to be. What version of windows are you using, i'm seeing it on my home machine windows version 14393.693, but not on my work wndows 8 machine.

• Stormy

Stormy - 2017-02-28

These are 3 Windows 7SP1, running InputDirector v1.4 (with shared clipboard DISABLED), so, ONE mouse/KB can freely move from all systems. What I've done is simple:

1) ctrl-C on large file on PC1 (it runs 3.21.136)
    2) go to PC2 and open ditto -> about (to confirm all run 3.21.136)
    3) go to PC3 and open ditto -> about (it also runs 3.21.136)
    4) shortly after, the COPY Popup appeared for the large file (notice I've not pressed ctrl-V) on PC3!!

OK, so, went into Supported Types, and removed CF_HDROP, on all of them, clicked OK, without exiting Ditto.

Repeated the same test, and about 1 minute after opening the about window, the pop up appears, this time on PC2... so, it seems something else is going on there... attempted to reproduce this again, but it did not yet, for 15 minutes.. I'll now exit ditto, and relaunch on all 3 and report if it returns..

I don't need file copy from machines, and local copy does not seem to be impacted.. for example, ctl-C on PC1 in folder1 then ctrl-v in folder2 starts the copy of the file as expected.. just don't need it broadcast to all folks connected on the clipboard, some may at times be on wifi :)

I think this is good, I'll update if it reproduces with CF_HDROP removed.