Menu

raising the administrator level on a windows 10 app that starts in the system tray. Problems with the 64 bit not pasting into some programs.

Help
2017-03-23
2020-11-20
  • Paul Borisoff

Paul Borisoff - 2017-03-23

I've used Ditto for many years.  However with windows 10 anniversary, the windows based program
    doesn't paste into MSWord 2007 and many other programs.  I tried installing the windows 10 app and
    got, "needs and elevated administrator level."   I have those privileges but wonder how the windows app
    whose shortcut resides in the system tray would be elevated to start with windows.

I was using an older version, probably the 64 bit version before.  When I pasted into my email client
    the system Icons became blank and things slowed down.  However, it seems in hindsight that the window 10
    was doing a windows update and perhaps the weird events were due to an uncompleted multistage update as it had not rebooted and so forth.  At any rate  I used and Acronis restore of an image that was a week old and then things
    windows wise were fine.  Now I need to ask you which is the best program version of ditto for the windows 10 os
    and how I avoid the "elevate administrator level" error.  Also if there are certain windows program do not function with ditto?

• Maloney

Maloney - 2017-03-28

That is a limitation of the windows store app. It can not elevate its self to Admin. That error will be fixed in the next release. But you can manually run it as Admin and it should work.

Or use the standard installer, that will self elevate if needed. They are really the same, with exception to the admin elevatation. Windows app will auto update, so that should be better in the long run.

scott

• L Abari

L Abari - 2020-11-20

I found this somewhere on the web and it WORKED!!!
    This is a little old, but I was having the same problems, and none of the above was working. What I did was create a VBScript that ran at startup that opened said program.

Right-click on the program, go to properties, then compatibility and check "Run as Administrator"

Create the VBScript using a text editor (I use Notepad++)

Script:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
    WshShell.Run """C:\Program Files (x86)\File\Program.exe""", 0 'Must quote command if it has spaces; must escape quotes
    Set WshShell = Nothing

Note: that C:\Program Files (x86)\File\Program.exe is the full path to the program with extension. Also, make sure to save it as a .vbs

Now place the VBScript in the startup folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or, alternatively access it by Win+R ⇒ shell:startup ⇒ Enter

I used this instead of a batch file because I did not want that ugly command window showing up.