Menu

Message archival through IMAP

Help
2013-09-23
2013-09-25
  • Mauro Cicognini

Mauro Cicognini - 2013-09-23

Hi Mickael, and first of all many kudos for your great work.

My question is on message archival. I'm scripting it using Python to access the DavMail IMAP server, and I need to move messages (based on several conditions) from one folder to another on the same Exchange server.

In this case, is there a performance benefit in using IMAP MOVE rather than downloading the message using FETCH and uploading it again using STORE? In other words, on the MAPI side, do you use a command that transfers the bits server-side, without downloading anything, or would you simulate MOVE by downloading the message and re-uploading it?

The reason I'm asking is because I usually have little bandwidth, and with multi-megabyte messages the difference is quite significant.

Thanks
    Mauro

• Mickael Guessant

I confirm IMAP MOVE implementation relies on server side move.

Note that this is not supported by all IMAP clients, this is an extension.
    http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-krecicki-imap-move-00.html

• Mauro Cicognini

Mauro Cicognini - 2013-09-24

Thanks!!

Yes, I know MOVE is an extension for IMAP (although I'm coding my client referring to RFC 6851, that appears to be an updated version of the document you point to), not a problem as I'm interfacing directly with the protocol. Being able to leverage a real MOVE makes things many times faster for me in many cases.

By the way, you implement MOVE but not UID MOVE, right?

Thanks again
    Mauro

• Mickael Guessant

both