ZIPX support

Mr. Rasmus
2009-07-08
2024-05-16
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Mr. Rasmus

Mr. Rasmus - 2009-07-08

Hi Igor,

do you plan on supporting the new ZIPX format made by WinZip?
    <a href="http://www.winzip.com/xzipx.htm">http://www.winzip.com/xzipx.htm</a>
    <a href="http://www.winzip.com/comp_info.htm">http://www.winzip.com/comp_info.htm</a>

Best Regards,
    Brian

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2009-07-08

I don't know .zipx format details.
      Is it just .zip with some changes?
      Is there any specification?

• Mr. Rasmus

Mr. Rasmus - 2009-07-08

Yes, the spec is in the links I provided:
        http://www.winzip.com/comp_info.htm

Basically it is an extended ZIP format with their newly added algorithms like PPMd, Wavpack and jpeg compression.

PowerArchiver 2010 RC 2 also seems to support this new format already.

Brian

• Mr. Rasmus

Mr. Rasmus - 2009-07-13

So, will you add this?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2009-07-13

Maybe later, if these new methods will be popular.

• Starz

Starz - 2009-07-20

Hi Igor,
      Can I ask that when you do eventually add the .zipx format to the 7-Zip, can I ask if it's possible to have it still compatible for Windows 98 S.E

Many thanks.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2009-07-21

Why do you need Win98 support?
        Please descibe you situation.

• Evan Davidson

Evan Davidson - 2009-07-21

Win98 still has many users. Believe it or not, it is very stable. It runs lots of useful software and legacy hardware that function just fine. it's in jeopardy only because of wasteful planned obsolescence driven by MS to drive profits from replacement hardware and software that provide minor updates to existing Win98 functions. People are still writing drivers and porting new functions to it.

See: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130936 and http://www.mdgx.com/spx/ to understand how active the Win98 users' community still is.

If zipx becomes popular, providing support for it In Win98 could be of value to millions of users.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2009-07-22

But stats from
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems
        show that 98 usage share is small:
        2006: 2%
        2007: 1%
        2008: 0.5%
        Each year it twice smaller.
        Probably it will be 0.2% in 2009, and 0.1% in 2010.
        So why do we need to support it?

• TechVsLife

TechVsLife - 2009-07-22

Please do NOT support Win9x--it should die.  It just makes things less secure for the rest of us to have Win9x in circulation (key sections of that code go back to 1982!).

• Starz

Starz - 2009-07-21

I would like to add my agreement to what Evan Davidson has just posted re windows 98 users.
      On a slightly different note I would also like to ask Evan, what anti virus will you use once Avast drop their support when Avast 5 comes out. One program that I know of is ClamWin, unfortunately it isn't real time, but better than nothing I suppose.

It looks very likely that they will drop the current support to 98, I am part of their community, and this is what the word is over there.

• Bleeder

Bleeder - 2009-07-22

Back to topic: ZIPX
      (Win98 should be separate thread please)

If easier/quicker  to implement, I propose only ability to read/extract ZIPX for now.  For another time, maybe add ability to create ZIPX.

Thank you Igor for 7-zip!

• Brian Rasmusson

Brian Rasmusson - 2009-07-22

Agreed, read-only support would be sufficient and much appreciated

• quanta

quanta - 2009-07-22

ZIPX is just a filename extension used by WinZip own when creating ZIP archive using non-Deflate methods, including PPMd, LZMA, bzip2, WavPack compressions. PKWARE's own APPNOTE.TXT already referred to them as ZIP compression methods, and the SecureZIP 12.3 can already compress with all but WavPack method.

As for application support, 7-ZIP can already make ZIP archives with bzip2 and LZMA compression. PPMd is already used in extraction of RAR 3 archive so it shouldn't be too hard to implement. WavPack source code is in wavpack.com with a licence compatible with 7-zip. What is really challenging is WinZip's loseless JPEG compression, which isn't documented ANYWHERE.

• Bulat Ziganshin

Bulat Ziganshin - 2009-07-23

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2009-09-28

• 7zipfanboy

7zipfanboy - 2011-02-15

hey, is anyone still working on this?

• Junkers

Junkers - 2011-12-12

Hi Igor
    Is anyone working on this?

Thanks for 7Zip :)

• dos386

dos386 - 2011-12-13

> Is anyone working on this?

There is already partial "ZIPX" support in 7-ZIP (no WAVPACK and no JPEGCRAZY).

For audio, just use genuine WAVPACK. For JPEG, I don't know.

For anything else, use 7-ZIP format and ignore WinZIP "technology" ;-)

>  Win98 still has many users. Believe it or not, it is very stable

The ME-line should never have been invented. For NT/Vista, the facts are not very different.

> Please do NOT support Win9x-it should die.
    > It just makes things less secure for the rest of us to have Win9x in
    > circulation (key sections of that code go back to 1982!).

Right.  For NT/Vista, the facts are not very different.

> planned obsolescence driven by MS to drive profits from replacement hardware

I use 7-ZIP on DOS … works on my early Pentium PC :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

> Probably it will be 0.2% in 2009, and 0.1% in 2010.

1/2000 in 2011 and 1/4000 in 2012 (soon) :-)

> and software that provide minor updates to existing Win98 functions.
    > People are still writing drivers and porting new functions to it.

Waste of time.

> If zipx becomes popular, providing support for it In Win98 could be of value to millions of users.

Alternatively, drop both ;-)

• Uri

Uri - 2012-02-02

I tried WinZIP new .zipx format.  It is really compress .jpeg to 15-25%.   I was confident that jpeg format is not compressible.  I heard rumors that they use StaffIT algorithm (Sorry, I can not confirm it).   By the way is 7-ZP support StuffIT? What do you think about it?

• Jens Kirk

Jens Kirk - 2012-12-21

I would like to see this feature too. We have a guy that likes Total Commander and he always sends me .zipx files deceivingly named .zip. The explorer replacement I use, make clever use of 7 zip for formats it doesn't support internally (Directory Opus - Call it a norton/total/midnight commander clone for the uninitiated). It is set up to use 7zip for zipx. It would be really nice if 7 zip supported the format.

• dos386

dos386 - 2012-12-22

I tried WinZIP new .zipx format. It is really
    compress .jpeg to 15-25%. I was confident
    that jpeg format is not compressible.

Please upload some examples and test some JPG
    optimizers (JPEGOPT, ...) too.

I heard rumors that they use StaffIT algorithm (Sorry, I can
    not confirm it). By the way is 7-ZP support StuffIT?
    What do you think about it?

StiffIT was never open source or publicly documented, IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuffit#Notable_features

We have a guy that likes Total Commander

We have a guy who likes Total Commander ???

and he always sends me .zipx files deceivingly named .zip

Because you can't reliably distinguish them from each other ;-)

It is set up to use 7zip for zipx. It would be really nice
    if 7 zip supported the format.

What does the "view archive with technical details" say about those zipx's ?

Alternatively, ask that guy to send standard ZIP's or 7-ZIP's ;-)

Does the world really need 1'000'000'000'000 incompatible archive formats, every of them with 1'000'000'000'000 flavours? WinZIP 17 is 100 MiB download size ... this turns any (JPEG) compression into absurdity anyway :-D

• jokuo

jokuo - 2013-01-01

Please forgive my rudeness Mr.Igor.
    Firstly, I've already known that there aren't many people use zipx format. But still, the student who study in my school usually use zipx format to deliver their files.(I use 7z)When some of my classmates send me a file, he/she usually use zipx format to pack/compress the files to send to me. I know that 7-zip still can open the zipx files.(To let it as a normal archive such like zip and 7z) But sometimes I still gone mad because of the icon of the zipx format. It shows me it's an unknown file and, I usually delete it carelessly, I don't want 7-zip to support to write zipx format, I just want it to support to read zipx format to avoid my--madness action.

Thank you for read my complaint.
    (Please don't care about my English, my English is not very well.)

• T1E1

T1E1 - 2013-04-02

I ran into zipx for the first time today. Considering the first post in this thread was in 2009, I think it's safe to say that it is seldom used. However, someone at Avaya decided to zip up and post some technical information that I needed to access in that format. I don't have the ability to contact the person who zipped it and have the re-zip it in standard format and don't use WinZIP, so my only choice was to figure out an alternative.

After researching and figuring out what was going on, I ended up here trying to figure out if anything besides WinZip could extract it. I admit I'm not a 7-zip user - but had it been able to extract the files, I might have become one (for awhile at least - who knows the rest).

I guess my point and reason for replying to the thread is to reinforce that we don't always have a choice in what we get, and if there's enough information out there to be able to write the decompression code, it would be of value to users out there to have a tool capable of extracting it. I could care less about compressing it. I don't want to put anyone else through the hell that I went through. I refuse to pollute my work and home PCs with WinZIP, so I imaged an old PC with a baseline XP image with the express purpose of downloading and installing WinZIP, and decompressing the files I needed. Afterwards I re-imaged the XP machine to get rid of it. The whole process wasted almost two hours of my life.

So, to the author of 7-Zip, my comment is this: I know it may be difficult to code it if there isn't much in the way of public domain information on the algorithm, but if you could pull it off, you would be providing a valuable public service, and would have a piece of niche software that might get you a number of downloads. Just my 2c.

Thanks for reading.

Last edit: T1E1 2013-04-02
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)