Specific catchment area

User Forum
kundan
2013-01-31
2014-05-15
  • kundan

kundan - 2013-01-31

Hi Everyone,

I would like to calculate TWI using different flow routing methods. I calculated the catchment area using different method. In the module for calculating TWI, it asks whether the catchment area is specific catchment area or pseduo catchment area. Is there a way in SAGA to calculate specific catchment area or using the pseudo conversion will suffice.

Thank you.

• Volker Wichmann

Volker Wichmann - 2013-01-31

In case you don't like to use the "1 / cell size (pseudo specific catchment area)" method, you can use the "Flow Width and Specific Catchment Area" module to convert your catchment grids beforehand. The module provides three calculation methods:

• Deterministic 8
    • Multiple Flow Direction (Quinn et al. 1991)
    • Aspect

Best regards,
    Volker

• traggatmot

traggatmot - 2014-05-14

Under the MFD option within Specific Catchment Area, are the same default used as provided in the Catchment area (Parallel) module? (i.e. Linear flow = false, Convergence = 1.1, etc.)

• Olaf Conrad

Olaf Conrad - 2014-05-15

...no! this tool just follows the approach of quinn et al. (1991) to define a flow width based on their multiple flow direction concept.

Quinn, P.F., Beven, K.J., Chevallier, P., Planchon, O. (1991): The prediction of hillslope flow paths for distributed hydrological modelling using digital terrain models. Hydrological Processes, 5:59-79.