Menu

Size of images in word and outlook

2014-09-19
2014-11-05
  • Jon H. Williams

Jon H. Williams - 2014-09-19

I have set up Greenshot to save as png; This creates a nice small file, especially with png optimization as found in help files.
    Still, if i paste from clipboard into Word or Outlook, AND if I use the Word or Outlook destinations, the files sizes go from for example 30KB to 3.4MB!!
    Does anyone know how to change this behavior?
    My workflow does not allow me the extra steps of saving to file, then importing to Word.
    I must be able to capture and paste OR capture directly to Word.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this!

• Steve Romanow

Steve Romanow - 2014-09-19

I might be wrong, but I think images in word by default are BMP’s which will not benefit from compression like a jpg or png would.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎September‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎18‎ ‎PM
      To: [greenshot:discussion]

I have set up Greenshot to save as png; This creates a nice small file, especially with png optimization as found in help files.
      Still, if i paste from clipboard into Word or Outlook, AND if I use the Word or Outlook destinations, the files sizes go from for example 30KB to 3.4MB!!
      Does anyone know how to change this behavior?
      My workflow does not allow me the extra steps of saving to file, then importing to Word.
      I must be able to capture and paste OR capture directly to Word.
      Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Size of images in word and outlook

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/greenshot/discussion/676082/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Beck Yang

Beck Yang - 2014-09-19

This is Office/Outlook behavior. When you paste from clipboard(no matter where the source image come from), the data format is Windows Metafile(.emf file, not .png).
    If you find a solution to change the behavior, please share with us.

== update ==
    I just do some testing in my Word 2010. I paste image from clipboard and save it to .docx, then I rename .docx file to .zip. The image file insided zip file is png!

You can also try "Paste special..." in Word, maybe there are different option there. In my Word 2010, the second option is "Image(PNG)" when image come from Greenshot.

Last edit: Beck Yang 2014-09-19
  • Jens Klingen

Jens Klingen - 2014-09-19

Hi everybody,
    Unfortunately, the Windows clipboard is far from ideal for transferring image data from one application to another. That's the reason why we have created some additional plugins for this purpose. Have you tried our Office plugin? It allows to send screenshots directly to MS Outlook or Word, without using the clipboard, and should give much better (smaller) results.
    You can choose plugins to add during Greenshot's installation process.
    Please let us know if that helps.
    Best regards,
    Jens

PS: next to the specialized plugins there is also a cool thing called "External command plugin", which allows to call custom commands and pass the image via command line interface. This makes Greenshot very flexible to be easily used with most other applications.

• Beck Yang

Beck Yang - 2014-09-25

I found something new when setting the "Clipboard formats" in Greenshot's Preference/Expert.
    If I check only "Device independend Bitmap(DIB)" and copy image to clipboard from greenshot, the "Paste special..." of Word 2010 list only one option "Device Independent Bitmap".
    If I check only "PNG" and perform the same action, Word 2010 only list option "Image(PNG)". Then I start paint.exe, but the past action is disabled there. Look like paint.exe does not support paste "Image(PNG)".
    Look like the source/target application must support the same "data type" to perform copy/paste successful.

• Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2014-11-05

The clipboard is one of the most horrible things for compatibility...
    Every program needs to take the format it likes, funny enough sometimes the preferred format is not the best.

Read this: http://getgreenshot.org/faq/how-can-i-paste-screenshots-into-skype/

If we would place all supported formats to the clipboard, this doesn't solve anything.

Coincidentally I am working on supporting an additional clipboard format which is quite popular. This might improve the clipboard support a bit...

Will come with 1.2.x