I have had this problem for a VERY long time. It has finally got to the point that I had to fix it or switch to other software. Thiing is, I like gtkam since it is simple, quick and really fits my needs. So, I'm a Gentoo user with KDE4 installed. I use a Canon PowerShot A3000-IS camera and PTP for the downloads. This also happened with my previous camera as well, Canon PowerShot A95 also with PTP. Software info:
root@fireball / # emerge -vp gtkam libgphoto2 libexif-gtk gtk+ kdelibs
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-libs/libexif-gtk-0.3.5-r2 USE="nls -static-libs" 388 kB
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.0.12-r1 USE="cups introspection xinerama (-aqua) -debug -doc -examples -test -vim-syntax" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.11-r1 USE="exif jpeg nls zeroconf -doc -examples -gd" CAMERAS="canon ptp2 -adc65 -agfa_cl20 -aox -ax203 -barbie -casio_qv -clicksmart310 -digigr8 -digita -dimagev -dimera3500 -directory -enigma13 -fuji -gsmart300 -hp215 -iclick -jamcam -jd11 -jl2005a -jl2005c -kodak_dc120 -kodak_dc210 -kodak_dc240 -kodak_dc3200 -kodak_ez200 -konica -konica_qm150 -largan -lg_gsm -mars -mustek -panasonic_coolshot -panasonic_dc1000 -panasonic_dc1580 -panasonic_l859 -pccam300 -pccam600 -polaroid_pdc320 -polaroid_pdc640 -polaroid_pdc700 -ricoh -ricoh_g3 -samsung -sierra -sipix_blink -sipix_blink2 -sipix_web2 -smal -sonix -sony_dscf1 -sony_dscf55 -soundvision -spca50x -sq905 -st2205 -stv0674 -stv0680 -sx330z -template -topfield -toshiba_pdrm11" 4,294 kB
[ebuild R ~] kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.0-r1 USE="3dnow alsa bzip2 fam handbook jpeg2k lzma mmx nls opengl (policykit) semantic-desktop spell sse sse2 ssl udev udisks upower zeroconf -acl (-altivec) (-aqua) -debug -doc -kerberos -openexr -test -upnp" 0 kB
[ebuild R ~] media-gfx/gtkam-0.1.18 USE="debug nls -gimp -gnome" 0 kB
Total: 5 packages (5 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 4,682 kB
root@fireball / #
I tried to include anything relavant in the list above complete with current versions and USE flags. Again, gtkam has crashed on me for the past several versions. What I did to fix it was to disable the gimp USE flag. When I disable that, it works fine and so far has not crashed but I plan to test it more.
What else I tried. I also tried disabling the nls USE flag but no change. I then disabled gimp and enabled nls like it was before. It worked fine during my heafty testing. It appears that the gimp USE flag triggers this issue. Since I use KDE, I didn't want to enable the gnome USE flag. That would likely trigger a large number of installs that I don't use.
When I run gtkam as a regular user from a Konsole, it crashes with a segmentation fault. I did have the debug flag on but that was all it reported in the Konsole.
I have found where others have complained about this issue but they were old reports with not so much info since they were using binary distros. I'm hoping that maybe this will help the geeks find a fix. Maybe since it is narrowed down to a specific USE flag, it will help point in the right direction.
Please take the term "geeks" in a very positive way. I'm geeky too.