gnuplot axes scaling problem

Help
gecko
2015-03-11
2015-03-12
  • gecko

gecko - 2015-03-11

Hi,

I'm having a problem with gnuplot, but maybe I'm just searching for the wrong things.
    What I want to do:
    I'd like to plot the impedance (which is a complex resistance) of a battery. I have the real part on the X-axis and the imaginary part on the Y-axis. Means I have the same unit on both axes: Ohm. Now I want to be 1 Ohm on the Y axis being the same length in cm (when printed) as on the X axis.
    Example: If I would plot real=1 and imaginary=1 the angle of the line would always be 45° allthough the X and the Y axes have different lengths.

Thanks in advance

• Hans-Bernhard Broeker

See "help set size" and pay particular attention to the "ratio" option. Or "help set view equal", if your gnuplot is new enough to have this.

• gecko

gecko - 2015-03-12

Thanks for your answer.
    I've tried both the ratio 1 option and set view equal xy. I think I explained my problem badly. I have a maximum of (for example) 1 Ohm on the Y axis and 5 Ohm on the X Axis and I don't want gnuplot to scale the Y axis to use the whole space. I want the said data point to be one cm above the X axis and 5 cm right of the Y axis regardless of how much space is "wasted" in the diagram. Also I don't want to change the size ratio of the diagram.

Thanks in advance