Menu

Help Files Not Working

Help
2012-05-13
2017-11-20
<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)
  • Simone Karin Lehmann

… no need to fiddle around.

The 2.8 user manual installers are online and ready for downloading.

BTW,

Please be patient.

I'm the only one working here on 'GIMP on OS X'. And so I will need some time do do all the stuff here (give support, answer hundreds of mails, build various packages, keep the website up to date, build user manual installers, fix bugs, ….)

-skl

• QuattroGam3r

QuattroGam3r - 2012-08-30

Did not mean to belittle any of your efforts lisanet. Your work is very much appreciated. I simply wanted to share an alternative for people asking about help manuals.
    I have since gone back to the Sourceforge files for the app, since the Macports brushes issue made the app unusable for me. However,  after updating to 2.8.2 and using the new help installer,  the app says the help browser is missing from the installation. This is a first run after installing, so came here to see if there was any info. I will look into it and see if there is anything i'm missing or doing wrong.
    Again, thanks for ALL your effort and hard work.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-08-31

I've just d/l and installed 2.8.2 - the native OS X app version, not the X11 version - and I've also d/l and installed the 2.8 Help file package but I have the same problem that GIMP claims the help files aren't installed.

Should the 2.8 help file installer work with the native app, or only with the X11 version?

• Simone Karin Lehmann

The installer for help files / user manual only works with the XQuartz version of GIMP on OS X. This is because the so called native package was _not_ made by me, but from the GIMP team on http://gimp.org without prior contacting me.

To enable help, go to the menu Edit - Preferences - Help system and select "Internet browser" as your browser. (currently I'm not on my Mac, so I hope I remeber correctly)

Please keep in mind, that this only works with my builds, the GIMP on OS X packages.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-08-31

@lisanet - Ah, I see. Thanks for the quick reply.

• parish

parish - 2012-08-31

I'm the guy who posted under the Google "user" - the Google login didn't seem to work properly so I've created an account.

The installer for help files / user manual only works with the XQuartz version of GIMP on OS X. This is because the so called native package was _not_ made by me, but from the GIMP team

OK, I've installed your Quartz package instead. I'm running XQuartz 2.7.3. I installed your help package and I've confirmed that it installed in /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Gimp/help/en but when I select Help from the menu I still get this error:

_**The GIMP help browser is not available.

The GIMP help browser plug-in appears to be missing from your installation. You may instead use the web browser for reading the help pages.**_

If I change the Help Browser to Web Browser it correctly displays the installed help but the URL is file:///tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/index.html

What have I missed?

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

Hello,
    as told in post 23 I setup Gimp on Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and help works. in the web browser you see:
    file:///Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/help/de/index.html

The path to the help files in the German version of OS X is:
    /Benutzer/Für alle Benutzer/Library/Application Support/Gimp/help/de

Greetings, Rudolf

• parish

parish - 2012-09-02

as told in post 23 I setup Gimp on Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and help works. in the web browser you see:
    file:///Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/help/de/index.html

The path to the help files in the German version of OS X is:
    /Benutzer/Für alle Benutzer/Library/Application Support/Gimp/help/de

That is what I did, and it works if I set the help browser to be Web Browser, but not if I set it to the GIMP Help Browser.

Also, in the web browser, the path is file:///tmp/skl/Gimp.app/….. where /tmp/skl/Gimp/app is a symlink (alias) to /Applications/Gimp.app which is created on-the-fly when you start GIMP

So, something is working differently between your setup and mine - maybe there's a plist or something left behind from when I had the "native" app installed?

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

@ parish
    I installed from http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html file: GIMP-2.8.2-p1-Mountain-Lion.dmg
    and the help file: GIMP-2.8-User-Manual-de.pkg

Regards, Rudolf

• parish

parish - 2012-09-02

@Rudolf,

That page has changed since I downloaded - and since you did too it seems. There is now a native (non-X11) versions there:

**_Mac OS X 10.8.x Mountain Lion - native, no X11/XQuartz

➡GIMP 2.8.2 for Mountain Lion 
             (internal: 2.8.2p2 md5: 548f81b1a5abac075362658a85aa9aa9)

Mac OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard & 10.7.x Lion - still uses XQuartz

➡GIMP 2.8.0 for Snow Leopard & Lion
             (internal: 2.8.0p1, md5: 37058e55e85236baf266ce9ac9e1ccd4 )
    _**

The native - p2 - version is 2.8.2 but the X11/XQuartz version - p1 - is still 2.8.0. I've definitely got 2.8.2 and it is the X11/XQuartz version. unfortunately, I've deleted the dmg file but I'm 99% certain it did not have p1 or p2 in the file name.

Hopefully Lisanet will be along soon to clarify.

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

@ parish
    Please have a look into the ChangeLog file in the dmg container.
    Version 2.8.2p1 (Mountain Lion) is from 2012-09-02 19:51 - Today

I may had just luck to be at the right time at the right place. :-)

OK, I recognized the change from p1 (19:51) to p2 (20:50). The ChangeLog now says for p2 (typo: p1 should be p2)
    * code signed the quick look plugin to make Gatekeeper happy.

So, Simone is very busy :-)

Regards, Rudolf

• Simone Karin Lehmann

ok folks, you see, there's a lot going on in GIMP development in the last few days. To clear some things up:

- use 'Internet browser' to access help. The GIMP help browser is not included in the bundle

- 2.8 user manual packages work with the XQuartz version and with the native version

- as Parish says in 6., the path is generated on the fly. Due to some changes I had to make in the native build, help won't work, if you start the native build for the first time. From the second time on, it will work as expected. (I can not create the correct path on the first launch, sorry for that)

- numbering scheme: p1 just means patchversion 1. I use this to indicate, that the GIMP version itself has _not_ changed, but some bugs or issues may have been fixed. So 2.8.0p1 For SL/Lion is still a 2.8.0 GIMP. The latest native version for ML is 2.8.2p2. 2.8.2p1 for ML is native too, but had a small issue with Gatekeeper .-( so please update to 2.8.2p2 on Mountain Lion

- I do really need some time to relax ….

Simone

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

@ Simone
    Thank you very much for your hard work.
    Everybody can understand the path building for the help files, but please include this info in the file important notes.rtf.
    If a first time user reads this file, he will know, if not, RTFM :-)

Have a nice evening.

Best regards, Rudolf

• parish

parish - 2012-09-02

@Lisanet

The GIMP help browser is not included in the bundle

Ah, I didn't realize that. At least now I know it isn't supposed to work (so there's nothing wrong with my setup) :)

The latest native version for ML is 2.8.2p2. 2.8.2p1 for ML is native too, but had a small issue with Gatekeeper .-( so please update to 2.8.2p2 on Mountain Lion

So there's no longer an X11/XQuartz version of 2.8.2 for ML? I definitely downloaded it from your site.

Does this mean that from now on you are only producing native builds for ML?

As Rudolf says, thanks for all your hard work, it is much appreciated :)

• Simone Karin Lehmann

Everybody can understand the path building for the help files, but please include this info in the file important notes.rtf.

oh yes, there are so many things to fix. It's just one more…

First I'll try to release a SnowLeopard / Lion build, then one for Loepard, then I'll try to fix the remaing popup-behind-issues, then get ghostscript back working, than … OMG …. don't know how many things more are waiting to get done.

Simone

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

Unfortunately I could not install version 2.8.2p2. (on Mountain Lion 10.8.1)

I had to fall back to version 2.8.2p1.

Rudolf

• Simone Karin Lehmann

Yep. And for Lion / SL too.

Unfortunately I could not install version 2.8.2p2. (on Mountain Lion 10.8.1)

why?

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

When in the container window (dmg) I try to drop gimp.app  to the folder applications.
    Then I get the message from OS X, the file is broken.

• Simone Karin Lehmann

… oh §$%&*

I really, really, hate this f***** Gatekeeper stuff.

I'll upload a new package, so please wait until it's online, and give it a try.

And then …. time out! At least for today.

Simone

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

@ Simone,
    I fully empathize with you (§$%&* ).
    As soon as you have a new version on-line I will test it. I think it will not matter, if it will be tomorrow.

Regards, Rudolf

• Rudy

Rudy - 2012-09-02

@ Simone,
    You where stronger than gatekeeper :-)  Version p3 works.
    Thank you for including the help hint in Important notes.rtf

Have a relaxing time, Rudolf

• parish

parish - 2012-09-02

Yep. And for Lion / SL too.

What is the difference between your native builds and those on gimp.org?

• Simone Karin Lehmann

… done

• cmedina

cmedina - 2012-09-04

Just for those who can't open GIMP 2.8.2p3 on Mountain Lion 10.8.0 just because it closes for apparently no reason, here is what I did. After a few tries the only way I could make it work was:
    1. Install 2.8.2p2 first and OPEN IT and then close it after you see the GUI.
    2. Install then 2.8.2p3 (replace 2.8.2p2) and open it.

Just in case, I was able to replicate the issue:
    1. Deleting the GIMP app under Applications
    2. Deleting the GIMP folder on Library
    3. Deleting the de.lisanet.gimp.savedState folder under "Saved Application State" located also in Library

I really hope this helps somebody.

• Simone Karin Lehmann

there  is absolutely no difference in code between p2 and p3.

The only difference is that p3 is codesigned correctly whereas p2 was not.

<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)