GIMP 2.8.2 won't open .ps files

Help
Jab
2012-12-16
2013-05-15
  • Jab

Jab - 2012-12-16

Hi,

I can't get GIMP to open up any of several postscript files, either from an external drive or from a local drive.  I get a similar error message both times. 

Opening '/Volumes/JAZZ2/RazorRuns/gadget2/run006/output/output_tstd/frame.1.000Gyr.ps' failed:

Could not interpret Postscript file '/Volumes/JAZZ2/RazorRuns/gadget2/run006/output/output_tstd/frame.1.000Gyr.ps'

I'm running the new (native build) of GIMP 2.8.2 (http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html) on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63).   I've read that past versions of GIMP may or may not have needed Ghostscript installed separately to read postscripts, but have also read that GIMP has it's own version included with the files.  I'm completely new to GIMP, so I'm not entirely sure where to start. 

Thanks!

• warpino

warpino - 2013-02-12

Just to say I am having exactly the same problem. I can export .ps and .eps files but I cannot open them in Gimp.
    I have also tried setting GS_PROG=[path to my ghostscript executable in /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/lib/gimp/2.0/environ/default.env but that's not working either

• asiga

asiga - 2013-02-14

After having used Gimp 2.8.x on my Macs for some months now, I feel it's not ready for primetime yet. The previous 2.6.x releases were more polished, and worked better. I wished to stay at 2.8.x because of its native GUI, but I feel I'm going to downgrade to 2.6.x one of these days, until they polish 2.8.x more in future releases.