Menu

Can I Make Downloadable Video Files With Working Chaptered Menus Like a DVD?

Help
BethP
2015-05-19
2015-05-26
  • BethP

BethP - 2015-05-19

Hello,
    Is it possible to create a final product that works just like a DVD when the customer buys the file and downloads it to their hard-drive? I'm selling downloadable dance instruction video files online. The videos must be chaptered just like a DVD would be, in order to be more user-friendly. I use Final Cut Pro to edit my videos.

Last edit: BethP 2015-05-19
  • Manolito

Manolito - 2015-05-20

Hi BethP,

if you only need chapters, then you could use a software called "MakeMKV" to convert the DVD structure created by DVDStyler into one single MKV file. This is just packing it into a different container, no reencoding. Chapters and Subs will be preserved.

But if your final product also must include all the menus you created with DVDStyler, then you have to distribute the whole VIDEO_TS folder. Of course you can stuff the folder into a ZIP or 7z archive so you will only have to distribute a single file.

Cheers
    manolito

• BethP

BethP - 2015-05-26

Thanks Manolito! I think I understand the first part of your answer. On the second part, what does "distributing the whole VIDEO_TS folder" mean? I know how to make a zip file, I just don't know what you mean by the word distribute? Thanks.

Last edit: BethP 2015-05-26
  • Manolito

Manolito - 2015-05-26

Hi Beth,

by 'distribute' I just mean 'make available for download'. Your ZIP file would contain the whole VIDEO_TS folder together with all the files which are in this folder. The customer will only have to download a single file (like 'Dance Instruction #1.zip'), after unpacking the archive he only needs to pick the VIDEO_TS folder in a DVD player software to play the content. Or he can use some burner software like IMGBurn to make a physical DVD from it.

Cheers
    manolito

Last edit: Manolito 2015-05-26