SIMBUCA (before called Simonion) is a simulation package that simulates the motion of charged particles under the influence of Electric and/or Magnetic fields.
What makes Simbuca unique is that you can choose to calculate the Coulomb interaction between ions on a Graphics cards which is much faster than calculating this on the conventional CPU (reducing the simulation time from years to days).
Therefore Simbuca has been applied in various projects which required to understand the behaviour of charged "trapped" particles under the influence of EM Fields and there mutual Coulomb interaction.
Simbuca is easy to read and understand and can be tweaked to your personal needs.
It has been applied to simulate different types of particles: for example antiprotons, positrons, 39K+ , highly charged ions, negatively charged particles.
Simbuca also has been applied to simulate Penning/Paul traps, Mr-TOFs, RFQs, ...
More info on the wiki: https://sourceforge.net/p/simbuca/wiki
- Abililty to import external magnet fieldmaps + electrical fieldmaps (f.e. with SIMION,Comsol, Matlab)
- Ability to do trapexcitations: dipole, quadruple, octupole + rotating wall (dipole,quadrupole)
- MPI enabled: Simbuca can run on miltiple CPUs
- 3 Realistic (hard sphere) buffer gas models
- Can run on more than 1 GPU
- Different ODE's implemented (4,5th order), all with adaptive stepsize (and error control). Also a predictor algorithm is implemented
- Major improvement by using the option to run on a GPU for the Coulomb interaction calculation
- ROOT analysis files + bash analysis files
- increased flexibility: an inputfile can be used with all the required simulation parameters