OCR Manga Reader is a free and open source Android app that allows you to quickly OCR and lookup Japanese words in real-time. It does not have ads and does not require network permissions. Supports both EDICT and EPWING dictionaries. Requires Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) or higher. See http://ocrmangareaderforandroid.sourceforge.net/ for details.
- Supports these file formats: CBZ, CBR, ZIP, RAR, PNG, JPG, BMP.
- Allows you to OCR unknown Japanese words.
- Automatically perform Rikaisama-style dictionary lookup the OCR'd text (displays expression, reading, definition, conjugation rule, and word frequency).
- View results from the included EDICT J-E dictionary, ENAMDICT name dictionary (optional), kanji dictionary (optional), and up to 4 EPWING dictionaries at the same time.
- Will automatically ignore furigana.
- Supports both vertical and horizontal text orientation.
- Ability to take a photo and then OCR it.
- OCR'd text can be sent to these destinations: Clipboard, OCR Error Correction Editor (to manually correct OCR errors such as changing a つ to a っ), Your word list (.txt/.tsv), Aedict app (if installed), AnkiDroid app (if installed), Eijiro/ALC J-E web dictionary, Goo Jisho J-E/J-J web dictionary, Sanseido J-J web dictionary, Yahoo Jisho J-E web dictionary, Yahoo Jisho J-J web dictionary, Google web search, Google image search
- Highly customizable.
This is without a doubt the best OCR translation tool available on android and, as absurd as it sounds, It's completely free. The layout is well designed, the controls are very intuitive and there are plenty cool features of customization options available. It took me just a few minutes to learn to use this app properly. The compatibility with EPWING dictionaries is by far my favourite feature and that's where my only concerns come from: unlike the edict dictionary included in the app, whenever I use an Epwing dictionary only the results found for the maximum (1st pic) or minimum (2nd) number of kanji are displayed (in the first case it was no big deal but in the second one it made a big difference since I was using enamdict in Epwing format). So I was wondering if it was possible to either include enamdict in the app or have an option to force the Epwing dictionaries to behave like the included edict when needed; it would also be cool to have a button or a shortcut (for instance, a left/right swipe) to cycle through the dictionaries. Thank you so much for your hard work and sorry for making requests in the middle of a review. i58.tinypic.com/osev6p.png i62.tinypic.com/16c97xh.jpg EDIT: You are awesome! I just tried the optional enamdict dictionary bundled with v4 and now everything works perfectly! I wish I could award you with 6 stars!