LocusVu is a novel Java based software tool that accepts a list of genomic loci (positions on the chromosome) as input and automates fetching of related information (cytogenetic band, gene name, OMIM data etc.) from public databases such as the UCSC genome browser database. It then enables multiple workflows on the retrieved results, like comparing multiple datasets (comparative genomics), viewing neighboring genes for a loci from within the tool itself, or graphically representing these results in bar / pie charts. LocusVu has a simple easy-to-use GUI on the frontend which enables intuitive user interaction with the underlying logic.
The tool can be easily extended to add support for other databases (eg. Ensembl) or to fetch information
from other tables in the database. Thus, LocusVu provides a basic framework that can be used by users and developers alike in simplifying existing workflows and creating newer ones to support data analysis in genomics.
- Automates data retrieval from databases (presently UCSC genome browser database)
- Enables workflows on retrieved results like..
- ..comparing multiple datasets (comparative genomics)
- ..view neighboring genes for a locus (from within the tool itself)
- ..graphically represent results (bar / pie charts)
- Easy-to-use GUI on the frontend for intuitive usage
- Logging with Log4j for easy debugging
- Easily extensible
Be the first to post a review of locusvu!