WHAT IS ExTiX 17.8/17.7/17.5/16.5 64 bit - four versions?
ABOUT ALL VERSIONS - 171012
ExTiX Linux Live systems 64 bit are based on Debian "Jessie"/"Stretch" and Ubuntu 17.10/17.04/16.10. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed Budgie 10.2.9 Desktop (in ExTiX 17.7, build 170712), LXQt 0.11.1 (in ExTiX 17.8, build 171012 and 161203) and KDE 4.16.12 together with KDE Frameworks 5.31 in an extra version of 170508 - ExTiX 17.5. Budgie Desktop is "focused on simplicity and elegance. Designed with the modern user in mind". "LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment". About KDE Frameworks: "KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms". NOTE1: Build 161203 is only for Intel Compute Sticks - http://www.intel.se/content/www/se/sv/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html
NOTE2: While running ExTiX LXQt 17.8, ExTiX Budgie 17.7 and ExTiX KDE 17.5 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. A ten year child can do it!
The system language is ENGLISH.
NEWS 161203 ABOUT ExTiX for Intel Compute Sticks
I have made a new special version of ExTiX 16.5, which can be used on Intel Compute Sticks. About such sticks read http://www.intel.se/content/www/se/sv/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html
Build 161203 uses "my" kernel 4.8.0-26-exton-InteAtom with special patches, which I have Linuxium to thank for - http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 17.8/17.7/17.5/16.5 Build 171012/170712/170508/161203 - four versions - Budgie Desktop, LXQt or KDE Desktop environments
1. ExTiX is now based on Ubuntu 17.10/17.04/16.10. Budgie Desktop 10.3.1, LXQt 0.11.1 or KDE 4.16.12 with KDE Frameworks 5.31 are used as Desktop environments. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 171012, 170712, 170508, respectively 161203. Kernel 4.11.0-10-exton is used in the Budgie version of Extix. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.11.8). Kernel 4.13.0-15-exton is used in the LXQt version of ExTiX. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.13.4). Kernel 4.11.0-1-exton is used in the KDE version of ExTiX. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.11-rc8). Kernel 4.8.0-26-exton-IntelAtom is used in ExTiX Build 161203 for the Intel Compute Stick.
2. Only Firefox is installed as Web Browser.(You can now watch Netflix in Firefox).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. "BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it's a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards". Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore "all" multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say. NOTE: The Budgie Desktop version has only a minimum of packages pre-installed. You can of course install anything you like, even while running the system live. I.e. from a DVD or USB stick.
5. I have also installed Nvidias proprietary graphics driver 384.90 in the LXQt version. It has support for the following GPUs: Vulkan, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, TITAN Xp, GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported. (If your start up ExTiX live with the boot alternative "nomodeset").
6. While running ExTiX LXQt 17.8, ExTiX Budgie 17.7 and ExTiX KDE 17.5 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
WHAT'S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX?
1. The ExTiX ISO's are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! NOTE: Not as regards Build 161203 for Intel Compute Sticks. Should be installed to a USB stick using Etcher or Rufus in Windows.
2. Another big improvement is that ExTiX version 171012, 170712 and 170508 can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You'll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever.
4. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in Build 171012 and 161203. NOTE: ExTiX Budgie 17.7 and ExTiX KDE 17.5 uses the Refracta Installer. It works very well.
5. While running ExTiX LXQt 17.8, ExTiX Budgie 17.7 and ExTiX KDE 17.5 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. So easy that a ten your child can do it! Watch a slideshow showing just as easy it is to use Refracta Snapshot: http://www.extix.se/extix-refracta-slideshow.gif
LOG IN to Budgie Desktop, LXQt repectively KDE
You can run ExTiX live as the ordinary user live or as root (super user). Log in from LightDM, LXDM respectively Slim's Login Manager as root with password root or as live with password live. During a hard drive installation you will of course get the opportunity to create your own normal user. NOTE: In ExTiX KDE 17.5 the password for extix is live. In ExTiX LXQt and ExTiX Budgie the password for user live is live.
Read my instruction: http://www.extix.se/?page_id=24
While running ExTiX LXQt 17.8 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. A ten year child can do it! Watch a slideshow - http://extix.se/extix-refracta-slideshow.gif (The slideshow is for ExTiX KDE 17.5, but Refracta tools works in the same way in ExTiX LXQt).
Read more about ExTiX 17.8, 17.7, 17.5 respectively ExTiX 16.5 64 bit Linux Live systems: http://www.extix.se