Version 16.4/16.3 (two versions - Build 160731 and 160530) of ExTiX 64 bit are based on Debian/Ubuntu. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). In ExTiX I have removed Unity and installed LXQt 0.10.0 respectively KDE 4.15 together with KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 instead.
PROGRAM content etc (both versions)
Among many other programs LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Google Chrome, Brasero, SMPlayer, Gimp, Flash and win32 codecs. In addition Java and all necessary additions in order to install programs from source. Google Chrome for Netflix and BlueGriffon as Web Editor. All programs (in both versions) have been updated to the latest available version as of July 31 respectively May 30, 2016.
The password for root is root. No password is needed for the ordinary user extix.
4.6.0-9-exton respectively 4.6.0-extix.
You can run ExTiX from RAM and/or with persistence when running from a USB stick.
- KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 and KDE 4.15 instead of Unity in build 160731
- LXQt 0.10.0 instead of Unity in build 160530
- Runs from RAM - Copy to RAM - Boot alternative 3
- Based on Ubuntu 16.04 - 64 bit - and Debian 8.5/9
- All multimedia codecs are installed
- USB installation - Persistent - done in two ways
- All common KDE packages in build 160508
- Kernel 4.6.0-extix - Kernel.org's 4.6 - in the LXQt version
- Kernel headers in both versions
- Nvidia's proprietary driver 361.45.11 is installed in the LXQt version
- All necessary additions in order to install programs from source (in both versions of ExTiX)
- Live system - run it from DVD or USB
- Adobe flash
- LibreOffice in both versions of ExTiX. The whole suite in the KDE version
- Debian "Jessie" (Debian 8.5)
- ISO-hybrid - just copy the ISO file to a USB stick and run it!
- Synaptic Package Manager
- BlueGriffon Web Editor in the LXQt version. ("Dreamweaver" for Linux)
- Google Chrome - for Netflix - in both versions of ExTiX
- Samba for reaching your Windows shares
- 64 bit - both versions of ExTiX
- Kernel 4.6.0-9-exton - Kernel.org's 4.6.4 - in the KDE version
I had lots of bugs with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit but I liked the screenshots on distrowatch. Hence I gave it a go. Install was only possible via live - gnome session and my username was not taken. But hey all the rest is perfect. It looks good and I haven't found one single bug so far!
Very nice (clean) linux desktop. Runs very well from DVD (much better then many I have tried before). Harddisk instakllation is also easy. No distro if you want 20 programs to do the same thing. Comes standard with all media support (file types) to view YouTube etc. out of the box (fresh install)