WHAT IS ExTiX 16.4/16.3 64 bit - two versions?
ABOUT BOTH VERSIONS - 160731
ExTiX Linux Live DVD's 64 bit are based on Debian "Jessie"/"Stretch" and Ubuntu 16.04.1/16.04. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.10.0 (in ExTiX 16.3, build 160530) and KDE 4.15 together with KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 in an extra version of 160731. "LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment". About KDE Frameworks: "KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms".
The system language is ENGLISH.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 16.4/16.3 Build 160731/160530 - two versions - KDE or LXQt Desktop environments
1. ExTiX are now based on Ubuntu 16.04. LXQt 0.10.0 or KDE 4.15 with KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 are used as Desktop environments. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 160731/160530. Kernel 4.6.0-extix is used in the LXQt version of ExTiX. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.6). Kernel 4.6.0-9-exton is used in the KDE version of ExTiX. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.6.4).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux). Both Firefox and Google Chrome are installed in the KDE version.
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. "BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it's a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards". Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore "all" multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia Graphic driver 361.45.11 in the LXQt version. It has support for the following GPUs: GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported.
WHAT'S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX?
1. The ExTiX ISO's are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You'll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever.
4. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
LOG IN to LXQt repectively KDE
You can run ExTiX live as the ordinary user extix or as root (super user). Log in from Slim's Login Manager as root with password root or as extix with no password. During a hard drive installation you will of course get the opportunity to create your own normal user.
Read my instruction: http://www.extix.se/?page_id=24
Read more about ExTiX 16.4 respectively ExTiX 16.3 64 bit Linux Live DVD's: http://www.extix.se