WHAT IS ExTiX 17.2/17.0/16.5 64 bit - three versions?
ABOUT ALL VERSIONS - 170320
ExTiX Linux Live systems 64 bit are based on Debian "Jessie"/"Stretch" and Ubuntu 16.10. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.10.0 (in ExTiX 17.2, build 170320 and 161203) and KDE 4.16 together with KDE Frameworks 5.26 in an extra version of 161221. "LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment". About KDE Frameworks: "KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms". NOTE1: Build 161203 is only for Intel Compute Sticks - http://www.intel.se/content/www/se/sv/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html
NOTE2: While running ExTiX KDE 17.0 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
The system language is ENGLISH.
NEWS 161203 ABOUT ExTiX for Intel Compute Sticks
I have made a new special version of ExTiX 16.5, which can be used on Intel Compute Sticks. About such sticks read http://www.intel.se/content/www/se/sv/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html
Build 161203 uses "my" kernel 4.8.0-26-exton-InteAtom with special patches, which I have Linuxium to thank for - http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 17.2/17.0/16.5 Build 170320/161221/161203 - three versions - LXQt or KDE Desktop environments
1. ExTiX is now based on Ubuntu 16.10. LXQt 0.10.0 or KDE 4.16 with KDE Frameworks 5.26 are used as Desktop environments. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 170320, 161221 respectively 161203. Kernel 4.10.0-14-exton is used in the LXQt version of ExTiX. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.10.3). Kernel 4.9.0-11-exton is used in the KDE version of ExTiX. (Kernel.org's kernel 4.9). Kernel 4.8.0-26-exton-IntelAtom is used in ExTiX Build 161203 for the Intel Compute Stick.
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux). Both Firefox and Google Chrome are installed in the KDE version.
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. "BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it's a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards". Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore "all" multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidias proprietary graphics driver 375.39 in the LXQt version. It has support for the following GPUs: GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported.
6. While running ExTiX KDE 17.0 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
WHAT'S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX?
1. The ExTiX ISO's are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! NOTE: Not as regards Build 161203 for Intel Compute Sticks. Should be installed to a USB stick using Rufus in Windows.
2. Another big improvement is that ExTiX version 170320 and 161221 can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You'll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever.
4. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in Build 170320 and 161203. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process. NOTE: ExTiX KDE 17.0 uses the Refracta Installer.
5. While running ExTiX KDE 17.0 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
LOG IN to LXQt repectively KDE
You can run ExTiX live as the ordinary user extix or as root (super user). Log in from LXDM/Slim's Login Manager as root with password root or as extix with no password. During a hard drive installation you will of course get the opportunity to create your own normal user. NOTE: In ExTiX KDE 17.0 the password for extix is live.
Read my instruction: http://www.extix.se/?page_id=24
Read more about ExTiX 17.2, ExTiX 17.0 respectively ExTiX 16.5 64 bit Linux Live systems: http://www.extix.se