Canon doesn’t have shutter count included on the EXIF information of an image file, as opposed to Nikon and Pentax.
There’s no official Canon based application to find the shutter count for an EOS DSLR.
However, there are a few free tools that may help you to do this. They provide some details about the camera, including product Name, firmware version, battery level, shutter Counter, date/time, and owner/artist/copyright strings. But it does not support this features: Editing the owner/artist/copyright and synchronizing date/time within the local PC's date/time.
For that, I wrote a new utility that includes all these features by integrating those that were missing.
I uses an official Canon SDK (Canon ED-SDK) to retrieve and set all camera information (shutter count is retrieved via an undocumented function).
The Canon Digital Camera SDKs is freely available on this official link: https://www.didp.canon-europa.com.
for more info read the text file "readme.txt" please.
- Camera Model reference (read) + link if available to canon web site
- Shutter Count ( available in SDK2.14 / not supported in SDK 3.5
- Serial Number (read)
- Firmware Version (read) + link if available to canon web site
- Battery Level (read)
- Owner (read & write)
- Artist(read & write)
- Copyright(read & write)
- Device Date/time (read & synchro within local PC date/time)
- Generate a complete report as a small text file and Jpeg screenshot.
Does what it is meant to do with 5DMK2 Fails reproduceable on EOS 7D (MK1) - not able ot retreive the correct serial number (something like "-17xxxxxxxxxxx" Tested with 2 EOS 7D