Menu

Zebra name clash

2009-02-18
2013-02-02
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi! I maintain zebra in ALTLinux Sisyphus and i got a name clash with old packet zebra (routing software).
    This is make some misunderstanding . May be you should change the name of your project?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Sure ..

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey joke man!!!!!!!!!

• Nobody/Anonymous

No jokes.
      The library name /usr/lib/libzebra.so is the same in both projects.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Old project: http://www.zebra.org/
      New project: http://www.quagga.net/

And it is widely used, for example:
      http://www.ripe.net/info/faq/projects/ris.html

• spadix

spadix - 2009-03-17

sorry, no - we will not rename the project based on this request.  surely your distribution has a way to deal with name conflicts

fwiw- your case is terribly presented.  were you really expecting us to go ahead and change the name of our project based on your anonymous suggestion and an off-hand reference to an unrelated project?

-spadix

• Nobody/Anonymous

> were you really expecting us to go ahead and change the name of our project based on your anonymous suggestion and an off-hand
      > reference to an unrelated project?

Hm... How is your attitude to shared libraries ? You understand that the co-existence of software which need of two different libzebra.so impossible ? Or do you propose to use a static linking ? I do not think about themselves, I think about those who will use this.
      Zebra Routing Software is more old.

anonymous ?     This is not a principle. Ok.

Regads, Sergey Afonin
      asy@altlinux.ru

(The first message is not mine.)

• spadix

spadix - 2009-03-20

hi Sergey-

i think maybe some of your assumptions are too conservative?  requiring that no project in the world will ever reuse or overload a name is not likely to scale very well... actually, the two projects referenced above already create such a conflict?!

fwiw- i know of at least one distribution that simultaneously offers both zebra routing software (from some branch) and zebra barcode reader (finkproject.org).  it may be instructional for you to look into their solution of the problem?

in any case, the discussion at this point is academic; lucky for you we already need to change the project name for unrelated reasons :)

regards,
      -spadix

• Nobody/Anonymous

> in any case, the discussion at this point is academic; lucky for you we already need
      > to change the project name for unrelated reasons :)

Ok. :-)

> it may be instructional for you to look into their solution of the problem?

They may use only this options:
      1. static linking.
      2. conflicts between the packages, which tracks the package manager.
      3. renaming a library in the distribution
      All variants are not a good solution. Are there proposed a fourth option ? really ?

I think what should be given a unique name for shared libraries if it possible. libzebra_barcode.so, for example, if libzebra.so is used already. At least for software with a completely different functions.

Regads, Sergey Afonin

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, spadix.
      The first and fourth messages was mine.
      I appreciate that you changing the name even if you do it for unrelated reason :)

With the best regards,
      Sergey Alembekov
      rt@altlinux.ru