Menu

Serial_GPS from Android ShareGPS App

Anonymous
2017-06-16
2017-06-16
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-16

I have a bit of an obscure question. I have ShareGPS installed on my Samsung Galaxy. In putty, I am able to see NMEA packets coming through the COM port. However, no matter what I do, I can't get YAAC to read the packets. It shows the correct COM port, but when I click test, I get a blank black square.

I don't know if any of you have experience with this, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2017-06-16

Are you using a Bluetooth COM port on Microsoft Windows? If so, then this won't work. There are strange incompatibilities in the Windows Bluetooth serial port driver that won't work with the RXTX library used in YAAC. For this reason, YAAC has a Bluetooth plugin which supports Bluetooth-connected GPS and TNC devices.

However, because the Bluetooth plugin speaks to the remote Bluetooth devices at a lower level of the Bluetooth protocol stack, you cannot pair the device to your Windows system, as that will put the appropriate higher-level driver above the Bluetooth stack and interfere with the direct stack access the YAAC Bluetooth plugin uses. Pseudo-pairing is provided in the port configuration panel for Bluetooth_TNC and Bluetooth_GPS ports in YAAC.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-16

Wow, that's exactly what I needed to know. I will try this and let you know.

Also, I moved on from Bluetooth to USB when I couldn't get it to work. I am having the exact same problem. Is there also a USB plugin that supports this?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-07-12

I am still working on this problem. I am using Android's Minimal ADB, then using com0com and tcp2com to forward my phone's GPS to COM15 through USB. When I open putty, I can see the NMEA packets coming through. However, when I try to add it to YAAC and press the test button, I get a blank black square. Has there been anyone who has tried this before?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-07-12

I am using baud=19200, data=8, parity=no, stop=1 if that helps...

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-07-12

I was able to figure this out if anyone in the future is interested. I found in the source code that YAAC doesn't expect any handshaking. So in com0com, I made all pins exept RX and TX (DCD, DSR, CTR, RTS, RI) open. For some reason it was confusing YAAC. Now my location is updated perfectly through YAAC.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel